Community discussions

MikroTik App

kauer
just joined
Topic Author

Can I run ether5 as a router interface? (RB951-2n)

Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:42 am

I have a little RB951-2n. I want to run ether5 as a separate interface - not grouped with any other interface. I can sort of do it - I set master-port to "none" and I can put an IP address on the interface, and even get DHCP happening on the interface. As far as I can tell, IPv4 is working fine.

But there's a mystery with IPv6. When I set up a prefix and advertise it on the interface it gets advertised on bridge-local as well! And the prefix I am advertising on bridge-local is advertised on ether5! It is as if they are somehow both in the same link.
 #    NAME                   MTU MAC-ADDRESS       ARP        MASTER-PORT                SWITCH               
 0 R  ether1-gateway        1500 D4:CA:6D:5C:3E:0C enabled   
 1 R  ether2-master-local   1500 D4:CA:6D:5C:3E:0D enabled    none                       switch1              
 2  S ether3-slave-local    1500 D4:CA:6D:5C:3E:0E enabled    ether2-master-local        switch1              
 3 RS ether4-slave-local    1500 D4:CA:6D:5C:3E:0F enabled    ether2-master-local        switch1              
 4 R  ether5                1500 D4:CA:6D:5C:3E:10 enabled    none                       switch1
[admin@MikroTik] > /interface bridge port print
Flags: X - disabled, I - inactive, D - dynamic 
 #    INTERFACE                              BRIDGE                             PRIORITY  PATH-COST    HORIZON
 0    ether2-master-local                    bridge-local                           0x80         10       none
 1    wlan1                                  bridge-local                           0x80         10       none
I'm trying to set up multiple subnets in my home network.

kauer
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Can I run ether5 as a router interface? (RB951-2n)

Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:59 pm

Well, I upgraded to 5.24 and enjoyed a little holiday while PPPoE failed to work. No idea why. Rebooted the router, rebooted the ADSL modem, rinse and repeat, came good after 30 mins.

However, after all this, and with NO configuration changes, IPv6 RA on the ether5 interface was only happening for the expected prefixes.

I'm puttng this one down to cosmic rays, unless the 5.22 -> 5.24 release notes have a clue...

Interesting sidenote re the upgrade: Oon the Quickset page in the web interface, no PPPoE status is shown any more. Just a "Reconnect" button. The only way to tell if you have connectivity is to see if there is a WAN interface address, or go and look at the pppoe interface explicitly.