Community discussions

MikroTik App

brendanmulcahy
just joined
Topic Author

Mac Address Filtering on Mikrotik

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:45 pm

I have a Mikrotik Routerboard installed in a student accommodation block. For the next semester I want only known MAC addresses to be able to get anIP address from the router (this is to eliminate people plugging in their own dhcp routers for wifi). I accept that I will need to collect the MAC address of every device that I am permitting on the network and somehow input this to an accepted list on the Mikrotik. I am not overly familiar with scripting so would very much like to do this via winbox.

Can anyone explain to me how I would do this?

Thanks in advance,

Brendan

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mac Address Filtering on Mikrotik

Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:30 pm

I have a Mikrotik Routerboard installed in a student accommodation block. For the next semester I want only known MAC addresses to be able to get anIP address from the router (this is to eliminate people plugging in their own dhcp routers for wifi). I accept that I will need to collect the MAC address of every device that I am permitting on the network and somehow input this to an accepted list on the Mikrotik. I am not overly familiar with scripting so would very much like to do this via winbox.

Can anyone explain to me how I would do this?

Thanks in advance,

Brendan
You can use IP -> Firewall -> Filter -> forwarding chain, advanced, src-mac-address

Or, you can put static MAC addresses in the ARP table and set your interface to ARP REPLY ONLY
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/How_to_se ... _using_ARP