Community discussions

MikroTik App

tylerweik
just joined
Topic Author

CloudCode Router Ports Switched?

Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:39 am

I have used RB1200 routers in the past and am in the process of upgrading to the CloudCore CCR1016-12g. My question is whether all of the CCR's Ethernet ports are switched or if I have to bridge them. For my RB1200, I had to create a bridge group and put the ports that I want to be switched in that group. I'm hoping that I won't have to do this on the CCR1016. It's a pain to manage that bridge, and I don't understand why the ports aren't switched by default.

Does anyone know if the Ethernet ports on the CCR's are switched out of the box or if a bridge group is necessary for devices connected to the Ethernet ports to communicate with one another?

Thanks in advance.

lunchboxrts
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: CloudCode Router Ports Switched?

Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:49 am

I have used RB1200 routers in the past and am in the process of upgrading to the CloudCore CCR1016-12g. My question is whether all of the CCR's Ethernet ports are switched or if I have to bridge them. For my RB1200, I had to create a bridge group and put the ports that I want to be switched in that group. I'm hoping that I won't have to do this on the CCR1016. It's a pain to manage that bridge, and I don't understand why the ports aren't switched by default.

Does anyone know if the Ethernet ports on the CCR's are switched out of the box or if a bridge group is necessary for devices connected to the Ethernet ports to communicate with one another?

Thanks in advance.
CCR does not have a switch chipset, you will have to use a software bridge.

tylerweik
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:04 am

Do you have any idea why that's the case? It doesn't make sense to me that all of the ports on the router wouldn't naturally be switched by default. And a software bridge works, but isn't a very elegant (or efficient) workaround.

tomaskir
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:35 am

Each of the ports on the CCR are connected directly to CPU.

It can bridge at wire-speed without any real load on the CPU.

barkas
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

AW: CloudCode Router Ports Switched?

Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:17 pm

Do you have any idea why that's the case? It doesn't make sense to me that all of the ports on the router wouldn't naturally be switched by default. And a software bridge works, but isn't a very elegant (or efficient) workaround.
It's a router, it routes. If it switched, it would be a switch.
This may seem a little flippant, but that's generally the way it is with higher end routers.

Gesendet von meinem XT890 mit Tapatalk 2

onnoossendrijver

Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:36 pm

Indeed, the $500k+ Juniper routers at work don't have a single switch chip :)

tylerweik
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:41 pm

I understand that, but a $30 Netgear router manages to route and switch, so I'm having trouble figuring out why Mikrotik doesn't do that out of the box. Some of their equipment (like the RB1200) has a switch chip that switches the first 5 ports. Others (like the RB2011) have two switch chips, so ports 1-5 can switch with one another and ports 6-10 can switch with one another. But you'd have to create a software bridge to get the 1-5 switch group to switch with the 6-10 switch group. I don't understand the login behind these options. Either way, it sounds like that's just how it is, so it looks like I'm stuck with software bridges for now.

Thanks for all of the input, guys.

Tyler

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:39 am

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:52 am

Key word here is BRIDGE FAST PATH.

With that enabled (not disabled) on CCR you will have minimal impact on CPU while bridging few ports on CCR