Community discussions

MikroTik App

aosorio
just joined
Topic Author

I want to make a bonding between 3 pairs of ubitquiti links

Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:47 pm

Hi everyone,

I have 2 Mikrotiks 750GL and 6 Ubiquiti Nanobridges. I want to make a bonding with this 3 pairs of wireless-links, in order to increase the bandwith and availability.

I've two plans:

Plan A)

My first attempt is on the attached diagram:

- Bonding between ether3, ether4 and ether5.
- Bridge between bonding interface and ether1 (LAN).

Well, in this case, all traffic go by one interface (link), and the max bandwidth is 300Mbps. I did do test change the bonding type to "balance-rr", and the result was: the 3 links are used (the traffic is balanced), but the max bandwidth remains on 300Mbps.

Plan B)

- I make eoip-tunnels between UBNT-[1,2,3]-AB AND UBNT-[1,2,3]-BA, respectively.
- Bonding between eoip-tunnel-1, eoip-tunnel-2, eoip-tunnel-3.
- Bridge between ether1 and bonding iface.

The same result.

I need to know if is possible to get one aggregated link (300Mbps+300Mbps+300Mbps = 900Mbps, teoric). In this case, how?

Thanks in advance! :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

piterus
just joined

Re: I want to make a bonding between 3 pairs of ubitquiti li

Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:19 pm

Im sorry, but where are you checking this max speed? You're making a few mistakes.
First of all, Nanobridge has only 10/100 Mbit interface, so max bandwith well be limited by him.
Second, three links in one direction from one point will cause a huge noise and links will be very unstable.

Summing, i think that is a very bad idea bonding 3 pairs of NB - maybe its possible to use one pair M5 and one M2 if you dont have many noises in this freq.
Estimated speed might be little over 100-150Mbit. Dont count for more, it is not possible.

If you need more throughput over the air, you should buy designed radios for it, for example siklu or erricsson.

PS. Dont use udp b-test from mikrotik, just set up ftp server on one side of the link, and computer on second. Download speed will show you different speed - and thats the real speed of link.

fchacon
just joined

Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:47 pm

Agreed with piterus.

The benefit on Bandwidth will be achieved when your bonded traffic is composed by different services (or threads).

i.e by your example, you may have three FTP services running at 100 mbps simultaneusly. It mean an aggregated bandwidth of 300 mbps.

An individual service will only use one of the three available routes (nano bridge links).

Have fun!

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:54 pm

I've used this tutorial and worked with no problems.
http://wiki.ubnt.com/Mikrotik_bonding
Speed was up to 330-340mbps UDP and 240mbps TCP.

Conjur
just joined

Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:30 pm

Not what your looking for; but it may be FAR easier for you to just get a pair of RB433GL's, 2x 2t2r 802.11n miniPCI cards; and get 300mb/s from a single link... Having 3 directional links with the same source and destination is going to cause a lot of noise; and you'll be lucky to keep them stable under load.

V/r,
Mike

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:17 pm

Some people complained on forum that 2 cards in RB433 didn't worked in bonding.