Community discussions

MikroTik App

SpecialK
just joined
Topic Author

ROS6 ethernet interfaces and traffic stopping

Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:25 pm

Hello Guys,

I have been struggling with ROS6 on an x86 box plugged into Cisco switches.
I have tried 4 different Intel NICs as well as generic DLinks.
I am using this as a transparent bandwidth shaper.
Motherboard is an Intel with a core i5.

Every so often traffic will just stop passing traffic and a reboot or sometimes a disable/re-enable on the interface will work.
It can run for 30 days no problem and then need a reboot 4 times in 1 day.

So I have it apart on the bench testing different NICs and found some interesting information.

When I down the switch port the NIC is plugged into it never gives an indication the interface is down.
Even with logging nothing shows up for the up or down.
If I disable the interfaces I do get Up/Down messages in both logs and on the syslog server.
The only way to know that it is not plugged in is to do an /interface ethernet monitor command.

Also the Interface window in Winbox will always show all NICs as running even though nothing is plugged into the ports.

When I look at the Cisco switch port it will flash Orange/Green/off then keep repeating until you reboot the mikrotik.

I have tried all combinations of auto negotiation and maunal setting on both the mikrotik and the cisco.

So I pull out a cheap RB750 and everything looks good.
When I plug into a port it will show up/down and the GUI will show the status as "R" and then disappear when not plugged in.
This seems like what should happen.

Is it just ROS6?
Or is it because I am using the x86 version?

It seems to me that this could be the problem.
It's as if it has no idea which ports are up or not.

I have tried every ROS version all the way up to ROS6.2

Does anyone know if in the x86 version of ROS6 should all ports be marked as "R" (running) regardless of cables plugged in or not?
This really seems like the basic root of the problem.

Any input would be appreciated.