Community discussions

MikroTik App

vidwmax
just joined
Topic Author

Recovery Site

Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 pm

Good day everyone.

We have a working OSPF configuration with mikrotik devices as shown on attach diagram. How it is possible to implement on office4 site a LAN so replica server can be reached in case of fail at main site (Office1)

Thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

djdrastic

Re: Recovery Site

Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:21 pm

I take it you are using something like Vmware/HyperV with VEAM replication ? We've done something similar with EOIP to a DR center and works pretty well.

jaykay2342

Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:24 pm

Tell a bit more about what kind of application you are running. how you want to failover, automatically or manually? via OSPF? to give a good advise all those things matter.

vidwmax
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:14 pm

Good day everyone.

Yes we have vmware site and veeam replication to the other site.

If we can (with your help) figure out how make the failover the more automated as possible would be great. Also would be nice if OSPF could do the job in a transparent way to the end user.

If cannot be automated or it turns to complicated to implemented , we do not discard the manual choice.

Thanks in advance.

djdrastic

Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:23 pm

Been a while since I've done it , but the networking part was the easy part from what I recall . EOIP just created a big broadcast domain between the main server closet and the recovery center. You give the recovery vmware server a different ip in the same range , and then VEAM just backs up the image on a Remote NFS/ISCSI NAS in the recovery site and give access to it via the remote VMWare server. Pray that your backups work properly all the time , and you pretty much login to the vmware console and just start the backed up vm's.

If you don't want the EOIP tunnel open all the time (afraid of loops or lots of broadcasts) you could probably create a script that pings the vCenter and opens the tunnel when it can't ping it anymore.

I'm sure someone much smarter than me has done the OSPF way so I hope they can chime in.

vidwmax
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:50 pm

thanks for your idea djdrastic, I'll read about EOIP and try to implement it.