Community discussions

MikroTik App

tchus
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

switch all ports or not?

Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:15 pm

I've got a basic hotspot installation. 6.2 firmware on 450g. But, not sure if the "switch all ports" should be enabled or not.
Presently it's not enabled. Yet, a friend who's running same hardware but non-hotpsot mode (basic firewall, NATed) is running with the "switch all ports" enabled, and his network seems to fine.
I have no bridging between ports etc...
Simple Lan port (ether-2) as master and 3,4,5 as slaves with ether-1 as WAN.
Suggestions please,
Thanks

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: switch all ports or not?

Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:20 pm

I've got a basic hotspot installation. 6.2 firmware on 450g. But, not sure if the "switch all ports" should be enabled or not.
Presently it's not enabled. Yet, a friend who's running same hardware but non-hotpsot mode (basic firewall, NATed) is running with the "switch all ports" enabled, and his network seems to fine.
Suggestions please,
Thanks
Shouldn't be on. Switch all ports also adds ether1 to the switch group. You generally don't want to do that if ether1 is your gateway

From WIKI:
switch-all-ports=yes/no -
"yes" means ether1 is part of switch and supports switch grouping, and all other advanced Atheros8316 features including extended statistics (/interface ethernet print stats).

"no" means ether1 is not part of switch, effectivly making it as stand alone ethernet port, this way increasing its troughtput to other ports in bridged, and routed mode, but removing the switching possibility on this port.

tchus
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:42 am

Suggestions please,
Thanks
Shouldn't be on. Switch all ports also adds ether1 to the switch group. You generally don't want to do that if ether1 is your gateway

From WIKI:
switch-all-ports=yes/no -
"yes" means ether1 is part of switch and supports switch grouping, and all other advanced Atheros8316 features including extended statistics (/interface ethernet print stats).

"no" means ether1 is not part of switch, effectivly making it as stand alone ethernet port, this way increasing its troughtput to other ports in bridged, and routed mode, but removing the switching possibility on this port.

So how does one use the device "450g in a basic firewall/Natting mode while switch-all-ports=yes. Since ether1 is included in switching group? Fairly certain ether-1 (WAN) is his gateway.

becs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:28 am

Despite "switch-all-ports=yes" ether1 is still an independent port if it is not included in a switch group using "master-port" setting.