Community discussions

MikroTik App

qoole
just joined
Topic Author

VPN into work network.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:14 pm

Hi all,

I am wanting to VPN into my work network (which I manage) from my home PC.
I have a Mikrotik (x86) running on the work network which does things like DHCP/Firewall.
The result I'm looking for is:

During normal operation my home PC (Win7) has nothing to do with my work network.
When I connect to the VPN (Win7/pptp or l2tp) I want my PC to gain an IP address on my work network and I want it to behave as if it was physically connected to the work network.

My work network uses the address range of 192.168.0.0/16 (192.168.148.0-192.168.149.255 reserved for VPN) and my home network uses 192.168.1.0/24 (I don't know if this'll be an issue, I'd rather not have to re-arrange my home network but it's doable, the work network is untouchable).

How would I go about this?

Thanks,
Alex

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VPN into work network.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:39 pm

A PPtP VPN is not going to pass broadcast traffic. But you can access devices via IP address.

If you need or want to have an IP from the actual work network... and broadcast traffic to pass... look at EoIP tunnel.

This is a very easy to follow set up article.
http://blog.butchevans.com/2008/09/mikr ... pptp_eoip/

At home I have set up one port on my router to be EoIP to work. My computer is usually on port 3 of my router. If I want to VPN to work... I can use pptp. That sends all my traffic to the other side of the tunnel. So a website request goes from me to work to network then back. But I can't see the Sonos at the office. I can bring up webservers. Access the NAS and shared folders. Print etc.

If I move over to port 5. I get a DHCP address from the office server. Now all broadcast traffic goes back and forth. So its "Just Like Being There." IP scans work, etc.

jaytcsd

Re: VPN into work network.

Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 am

I have L2TP working from XP, 7 and 9 netbooks.

These are screen prints from winbox.

http://mikrotik.patokatech.com/

I use \\192.168.100.45 in windows explorer to see shared drives, there are other methods if you have a WINS server.