Community discussions

MikroTik App

Marlon89
Topic Author

Unable to ping remote VPN subnet from LAN

Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:05 pm

I'm having what I believe to be a routing issue on a very simple client-to-site (Mikrotik 192.168.101.0/24 to Mikrotik 192.168.2.0/24) L2TP setup.

The VPN itself works great. I can connect from any road warrior desktop to the remote network and ping anything. When I add an L2TP client interface on my home router to connect to the remote router, it establishes the connection and posts no errors in the log. I can ping any device on the remote network from the L2TP client interface on my home router using Winbox, but I'm NOT able to ping anything on the remote subnet via my home router's LAN.

I Googled and researched for days trying to solve this, but nothing has worked. I have tried dozens of different route combinations and they do nothing. I tried using mangle to mark the VPN traffic, also nothing.

Oddly, I can ping the leased IP of the L2TP connection (local IP?) from the client LAN interface, but it takes <1ms, so I feel like it only responds because Mikrotik designated it as a gateway.

Let me know if any other information would be helpful, but this is a very basic road warrior VPN setup. Thanks!

Rudios
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Unable to ping remote VPN subnet from LAN

Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:09 pm

How is your firewall filter setup?