Community discussions

MikroTik App

nubie
just joined
Topic Author

Ask: How to check bandwidth from ISP ?

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:27 am

Hi All,

Pardon for my intrusion, its kinda OOT, may i know how to check bandwidth from ISP, lets say if i order dedicated line with fiber optic 20 Mbps 1:1 (they said can give the download speed & upload 20 Mbps international link),
is it true/right if i expected i can get bit rate of download around 2048 KB/sec in browser download window (well, off course if i just download 1 file from 1 site/server) ?

The problem is why when i download 1 file, it will not get to the around 2048 KB/sec, but when i do this test once, i downloaded many files at once and i test using netpersec and can see the received can hold around 19 Mbps/21Mbps.

Tonight, i wanna test using iperf to measure the link between branch & HQ on different country, hope i can find out, if the ISP really do their best / not.

What is the right method to measure this kind of issue ? I'm really appreciate any advice from all of you.

Thank you so much & sorry for this stupid question.

rickfrey
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Ask: How to check bandwidth from ISP ?

Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:41 am

When you are downloading a file from across the Internet, you are also introducing unknowns into the equation. The best thing would be to test to something that is also connected to your ISP, but who has more B/W than you. This will give you a pretty good idea, but its not perfect either. The B/W testing sites like speedof.me and speedtest.com will, at least, get you in the ball park.