Community discussions

MikroTik App

opensourcecat
just joined
Topic Author

VLAN Best design?

Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:33 am

Hi All
As the thread name tells, i would like to expose once and for all to you guys a big question mark i have in my head since months :?:
I'v recently done a setup where all is working, but i don't know if it's the best way to do that (on the VLANs part of it at least...)

The setup is:
RB2011UAS
3xtp link SG3424P
the 3 TP Link are connected via port 1 to respectively port 1, 2 and 3 of the router

eth2 and 3 are slave to eth1 on the router, no bridge
various vlans created under eth1
All 3 switches have few port of all VLANS i'v created. Switches are tagging the traffic on some ports, other vlans are tagged from some unifi APs

Is it a good way to do this or it's better to put the 3 eth ports under a bridge instead of setting 2 and 3 as slave of 1?

it's just that i can't find a good example of a similar implementation...

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VLAN Best design?

Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:15 am

Hi All
As the thread name tells, i would like to expose once and for all to you guys a big question mark i have in my head since months :?:
I'v recently done a setup where all is working, but i don't know if it's the best way to do that (on the VLANs part of it at least...)

The setup is:
RB2011UAS
3xtp link SG3424P
the 3 TP Link are connected via port 1 to respectively port 1, 2 and 3 of the router

eth2 and 3 are slave to eth1 on the router, no bridge
various vlans created under eth1
All 3 switches have few port of all VLANS i'v created. Switches are tagging the traffic on some ports, other vlans are tagged from some unifi APs

Is it a good way to do this or it's better to put the 3 eth ports under a bridge instead of setting 2 and 3 as slave of 1?

it's just that i can't find a good example of a similar implementation...
It depends on your goal... switching will be faster since it is done before the packets hit the CPU, but it offers less filtering, etc. Bridging would be most costly CPU wise, but offers some filtering...

opensourcecat
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:11 pm

It depends on your goal... switching will be faster since it is done before the packets hit the CPU, but it offers less filtering, etc. Bridging would be most costly CPU wise, but offers some filtering...
Ok, thanks, like i thought. But what about the vlans being nested under ethernet one? Let's say:

R ethernet1
|-vlan10
|-vlan20
|-vlan30
RS ethernet2 (slave to ethernet1)
RS ethernet3 (slave to ethernet1)

will be optimal for traffic on all vlans coming also from switch 2 and switch 3 that are phisically connected to port2 and 3 on the router?
That's my main doubt after all...

efaden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:37 pm

Should work fine. Just make sure the vlans are assigned to the master and they should be on all of the ports

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk