Community discussions

MikroTik App

TonyJr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

How did you first find out about Mikrotik?

Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:59 am

I was wondering how everyone first heard about Mikrotik.

I was in Kandahar in 2011 and the welfare internet service was provided using the RouterOS hotspot and proxy services via access points in accommodation and a satellite link back to the UK. Paradigm was the provider. Painfully slow due to the amount of users - 56k modem style if you were lucky. It was the timeout error pages that lead me to Mikrotik.

Now I use Mikrotik all the time. A lot of progress has been made since then!

Tony

samsung172
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How did you first find out about Mikrotik?

Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:20 am

I was wondering how everyone first heard about Mikrotik.

I was in Kandahar in 2011 and the welfare internet service was provided using the RouterOS hotspot and proxy services via access points in accommodation and a satellite link back to the UK. Paradigm was the provider. Painfully slow due to the amount of users - 56k modem style if you were lucky. It was the timeout error pages that lead me to Mikrotik.

Now I use Mikrotik all the time. A lot of progress has been made since then!

Tony
My first mikrotik, was back in 2004/5. We got some devices, - regular PC cases (original mikrotik) with a Pci (or isa?) card with an n plug to connect to antenna..We switched some Lucent Orinico and Symbol stuff to mikrotik. in 2006/7? we got a lot of the original mikrotik AP's using 532cards. This was like "heaven" and really nice stuff. From 2007 i have just used mikrotik stuff. Start to work in another company, producing equipment using mikrotik hardware late 2007. Tried some ubnt in 2010, but i have removed all other system now. 100% Mikrotik (exept in hotspot setups, where mikrotik still anint good enough)

mahnet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:28 am

100% Mikrotik (exept in hotspot setups, where mikrotik still anint good enough)
How do u think Mikrotik is not good in hotspots. We are planning a big setup of almost 15 base station using mikrotik hotspots.

TonyJr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:37 am

100% Mikrotik (exept in hotspot setups, where mikrotik still anint good enough)
How do u think Mikrotik is not good in hotspots. We are planning a big setup of almost 15 base station using mikrotik hotspots.

Maybe this will be of good use for you, when it is released: http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Wi ... Controller