Community discussions

MikroTik App

simonetmp
just joined
Topic Author

Traffic priority question....I think

Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:09 am

Quick question for you guys. I've been reading through the wiki a lot in the past week about queue's and all the stuff related to it and am just a little overwhelmed and wanted some quick advice on what the best way to accomplish what I'm trying to do is.

I understand simple queue's, I have 2 networks a guest and a admin network. Basically what I want to do is use queue's to make it so that the admin network as priority over the guest network and that some devices (my understanding is I can mark these devices traffic with mangle by mac address) on the admin network priority over the rest of the admin network.

I assume the way to do this would be with mangle and a queue tree but I'm not really sure. One thing that I'm a little confused about is whether I need to set a limit at and max limit value. I don't really want to limit anybody, except maybe the guest network, all I really want is for some devices to get priority over others.

Thanks,
Matt

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Traffic priority question....I think

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:59 pm

I would do this with mangle and queue tree. Instead of marking mac addresses I would just mark based on the network (public and admin) and for select devices on admin to have priority you could set them with a static DHCP lease so they pull the same IP every time and then give that IP priority over others in the admin group.

You have to have at least a max-limit on your parent queues. Otherwise it will never know when it needs to start prioritizing traffic.

simonetmp
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:18 pm

Thanks for the reply

So to clarify the max limit doesn't actually limit the speed of the traffic it just tells the router when to start prioritizing?

Yea that was my plan to use the interfaces to separate the networks. I just needed to use packet marking for a few devices on the admin side that I want to have priority over everything else.

Thanks,
Matt
Last edited by simonetmp on Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:21 pm

No, it will actually limit traffic as well.

simonetmp
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:22 pm

I may have a misunderstanding of what you can and can't do with queues. I'll give a simplified example.

If I have 50mbps available if no one is using any of it and the only host sending traffic is one from the guest network, ideally they would be able to use all 50mbps. However if while that host is using 50mbps a host on the admin network starts trying to download something the router will throttle the host on the guest network and give priority to the host on the admin network. I'm not sure if that's possible, or if it makes sense.

Thanks,
Matt

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:33 am

You can do that. You just need a max limit on your parent queue then order your children appropriately. When the queue fills up it will give priority based on the priority of the children.

Best thing to do is just try it in a lab. It will make sense once you start doing it.

simonetmp
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:00 pm

I really appreciate all the help so far, I'm sorry my understanding of queues is fairly limited.

I'm interested in this lab thing you are talking about but am unsure of what you are referring to. I think it could really help my understanding.

If you wouldn't mind could you provide a quick and dirty example of how I would set something like this up or point me to the lab?

Thanks again,
Matt

sunnfin
just joined

Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:02 pm

You can do that. You just need a max limit on your parent queue then order your children appropriately. When the queue fills up it will give priority based on the priority of the children.

Best thing to do is just try it in a lab. It will make sense once you start doing it.
I am using mikrotik as Accesspoint for Wireless LAN network> My internet server is assigning IPs for my customers. Can I use queues and mangles to traffic priortising on Mikrotik Accesspoint?

I have tried putting some Mangles and queue trees; but are not working on my Accesspoint Mikrotik, what is wrong and what should be done?