Community discussions

MikroTik App

nmarques
just joined
Topic Author

INFO - What Router to buy

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:43 am

Dear people,

I share my appartment and internet connection with a few other people; Lately there's been some abuses and someone's taking most of my bandwidth. As I suspect this is a malware/virus issue and since I'm not in the mood to get into drama's, I'm thinking in acquiring a new router to replace my ISP equipment. Basically what I need is a router that supports PPPoE, where I can enforce QoS (mac address based ?) and provide wireless access.

The network admins from my company have suggested me to use MicroTik, since they are wise and I will count with their help to configure it, I'm interested in having some nice suggestions so I can purchase it and enforce my own rules.

Any suggestions? I'm looking for something in the 50/120€'s range. (I'm using 2 ethernet ports and a few wifi devices: android phones, laptop and so on).

NM

zap71
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: INFO - What Router to buy

Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:31 am

Hi,

I am not one of the MikroTik guru's but I'd suggest the RB951G-2HnD. It offers 5gbit Ports, can be powered via POE and WLAN.

It does NOT offer POE for the LAN-ports but since you only use two ports, it might be ok to use injectors like RBGPOE.

With the router and two injectors you should well stay in budget.

Hope that helps a little.

Zap.

bysard
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:43 am

It offers 5gbit Ports, can be powered via POE and WLAN.
How can it be powered via WLAN? Anyway 951G is a good router, I also recommend it.

zap71
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:12 pm

LOL! I didn't mean it's powered via WLAN but it supports WLAN. I stumbled accross language barriers. :lol:

Zap.

bysard
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:19 pm

LOL! I didn't mean it's powered via WLAN but it supports WLAN. I stumbled accross language barriers. :lol:

Zap.
:D

nmarques
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:40 pm

Thanks all. I've purchased now the Mikrotik suggested at the local recommended dealer. From looking at the stats, the 1000mW looks at least fascinating :)

Once more thanks all! Hope to see you guys around while exploring RouterOS for the first time!