Community discussions

MikroTik App

Ehman
Topic Author

K4201-Z 3g dongle, issue /interface lte

Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:54 am

Hi, today I've bought a Vodafone K4201-Z dongle.

the interface sits under /interface lte
but it doesn't add any route, or does it really work, and I cant use it, but its connected, and have 10packets tx and 60 packets rx, so I guess, its doing something somewhere. but it sux so hard, can ping anything either, its dead, but yet working, I dont under this LTE interfaces

I've used to ppp client for my normal 3g dongles, now this one wants to be fancy?

any help for me?

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: K4201-Z 3g dongle, issue /interface lte

Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:08 am

Ehman
Topic Author

Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:35 pm

damm, I've returned the product already, but thx for posting this guide, I'm sure it might have helped a lot!!

ogk
just joined

Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:26 am

I have the exact same problem as Ehman.

Using a K4201-z Dongle when I plug it into the USB port no PPP-client is automatically generated and when I manually generate one and attempt to connect to USB1 and then view the info on the dongle I am presented with the error "Couldn't start, unable to acquire port (6)"

I am using the latest version of both firmware and software (6.10) when the K4201-z is supposedly compatible with 6.8. When walking through pliskens link here I can get through to the section about when plugging in the device and the LTE interface appearing. Everything prior to this stage is either set-up automatically in the same was as described or works (i.e. can view the dongle in System > Resources > USB and is represented as shown in the link.

So I am out of luck, have tried contacting the retailer and they were no help so it is either find help here or contact Mikrotik with the support file and see what they can do to fix the problem. So any further ideas about how to get the K4201-z and RB750UP to work together?

Ehman
Topic Author

Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:39 am

I have the exact same problem as Ehman.

Using a K4201-z Dongle when I plug it into the USB port no PPP-client is automatically generated and when I manually generate one and attempt to connect to USB1 and then view the info on the dongle I am presented with the error "Couldn't start, unable to acquire port (6)"

I am using the latest version of both firmware and software (6.10) when the K4201-z is supposedly compatible with 6.8. When walking through pliskens link here I can get through to the section about when plugging in the device and the LTE interface appearing. Everything prior to this stage is either set-up automatically in the same was as described or works (i.e. can view the dongle in System > Resources > USB and is represented as shown in the link.

So I am out of luck, have tried contacting the retailer and they were no help so it is either find help here or contact Mikrotik with the support file and see what they can do to fix the problem. So any further ideas about how to get the K4201-z and RB750UP to work together?
I've returned my one, and got a couple of red K3772-Z and now I'm happy , because I don't have time to struggle for too long with dodgy/not wanna work devices!

ogk
just joined

Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:16 pm

I've returned my one, and got a couple of red K3772-Z and now I'm happy , because I don't have time to struggle for too long with dodgy/not wanna work devices!
Yeah, Ideally that is what I would do too but the company I work for has a deal with VodafoneNZ to send out SMS through the modem so we require a Vodafone branded modem or one that works with a Vodafone simcard, and given the high turnover of devices it is reasonably hard to find one is guaranteed to work so I was hoping to be able to find a way around this problem.

ogk
just joined

Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:03 am

Ok, after checking up on the K3772-Z turns out that they are in fact still available to purchase and compatible with VodafoneNZ, before I order some and see how well they work can you just give me a little bit more information about the system that you are using them with?

What software version are you using the modem on? What routerboard are you using it with and did you have to change any of the settings to get the connection to work, and if so what settings were they and the relevant settings.

Sorry about asking so much but I am staring to get really paranoid about how well different modems will work with the routerboard, especially given the incomplete list of compatible modems.

SwissWISP
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:16 pm

I had the same problem with a Huawei Modem. Support told me to just configure the LTE port as a dhcp client and it works like a charm now. It looks like some modems don't need the PPP part of the config.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:19 pm

The lack of ppp on the K4201 and MF669 USB 3G devices is due to the older linux kernel used by RouterOS. The serial driver used in the 3.3 kernel does not detect the hardware on the modem as a virtual serial port.

Hopefully when RouterOS 7 comes out this will start working, until then we have found the K3805-Z works well.

ogk
just joined

Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:50 pm

We have an old k3805-z floating around as well, but it doesn't seem to come up when plugged into the USB port of the RB750up. Can't find it when using the default 0:0 data, info channel as well and can't see the info using "Info".

Any ideas on what the correct channels may be so we can at least get this one working?

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:10 pm

We have an old k3805-z floating around as well, but it doesn't seem to come up when plugged into the USB port of the RB750up. Can't find it when using the default 0:0 data, info channel as well and can't see the info using "Info".

Any ideas on what the correct channels may be so we can at least get this one working?
We just use channels 0/1 and they work correctly. I have one sitting on my desk connected to a RB750UP that I use for testing, so this is a "known good" configuration.
You need to be running RouterOS 6.x for these to work.

ogk
just joined

Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:49 pm

Yeah, for the k3805 using configuration Port: usb1, Data Channel: 1, Info Channel: 0 whenever I try to run 'Info" to get the data from the modem all I get is "Modem didn't respond - (6)". Now I'm really not sure what the problem is considering that this modem works fine when plugged directly into a PC.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:41 am

Yeah, for the k3805 using configuration Port: usb1, Data Channel: 1, Info Channel: 0 whenever I try to run 'Info" to get the data from the modem all I get is "Modem didn't respond - (6)". Now I'm really not sure what the problem is considering that this modem works fine when plugged directly into a PC.
Try data channel 0, info channel 1. Thats what we are using