engineertote
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

UDP attack

Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:05 am

Hello

my network is attacked by UDP flood :( :(

we have facing problem that all our IPs " used and unused IPs " been attacked from out side by huge UDP traffic , the torch show millions of small UDP packets from many different IPs attacking our network , i have tried to disconnect all our LAN interfaces to make sure if there is any infected server may cause that and the attack still same and all my BW utilized by the attackers .

i have tried to remove all the config on the router and kept only the BGP config , once i advertise any network the attack start immediately .

Here is my BGP and routing filter config :
/routing filter
add action=accept chain=OUT prefix=xx.xx.xx.0/24 prefix-length=24-32
add action=accept chain=OUT prefix=yy.yy.yy.0/24 prefix-length=24-32
add action=discard chain=OUT prefix=0.0.0.0/0
add action=discard chain=OUT
add action=discard bgp-weight=200 chain=IN prefix=xx.xx.xx.0/24 prefix-length=24-32
add action=discard bgp-weight=200 chain=IN prefix=yy.yy.yy.0/24 prefix-length=24-32
add action=discard bgp-weight=200 chain=IN prefix=0.0.0.0/0
add action=accept bgp-weight=200 chain=IN

/routing bgp instance
set default as=MY ASN redistribute-connected=yes redistribute-other-bgp=yes redistribute-static=yes
/routing bgp network
add network=XX.XX.XX.0/24 synchronize=no
add network=yy.yy.yy.0/24 synchronize=no
/routing bgp peer
add in-filter=IN multihop=yes name=PEER1 nexthop-choice=force-self out-filter=OUT remote-address=ZZ.ZZ.ZZ.ZZ remote-as=”My upstream ASN”  tcp-md5-key="$$$$" ttl=1 \
    update-source=vlan1

i have tried all the examples in Wiki that its talking about protecting the routers from flooding and DDOS attackes with no success to stop this crazy attack

any post or idea is most welcome .

Thanks

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: UDP attack

Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:29 am

There must be an interface the packets are coming in on. Have you tried blocking the packets with the firewall on that interface?

engineertote
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:37 am

yes i do ,but its millions of IPs sending small packets and its impossible to filter all of them .

rickfrey
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:39 am

If the packets are being spoofed changing IP -> Settings RP Filter to "strict" will help also. You can read more about that here:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP/Settings

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:42 am

What udp packets do you need coming from the outside?
NTP? source port 123 from an ntp server ip.
DNS? source port 53 from dns server ips.

Block the rest.

edit: For those users who use udp (like me with my Arduinos), install a rule that puts outbound udp packets destination ips in an address-list for 10 seconds, then allow packets from those ips using the address-list as a filter. If a client didn't send a udp packet to that ip in the last 10 seconds, don't allow one back in from that ip.

engineertote
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:13 am

i have tried this but its still same :(

If the packets are being spoofed changing IP -> Settings RP Filter to "strict" will help also. You can read more about that here:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP/Settings