Community discussions

MikroTik App

jayd2k
Topic Author

PBR - Ensure traffic leaves the same interface it arrives on

Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:11 pm

Hi *,

I'm attaching a sketch of a problem that I believe is related to policy based routing.

Whenever the mobile client tries to access the web server located in the DMZ behind the CPE using the port forwarding (DNAT) through the vpn appliance, traffic goes through.

However, since the mobile client's is connecting using a publicly routed ip address, the CPE (RB2011) forwards reply traffic using its default gateway instead of the vpn interface.

How can ensure that reply traffic leaves through interface ovpnc1 which is the one it initially arrived on?

Thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: PBR - Ensure traffic leaves the same interface it arrive

Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:27 pm

I had a similar issue using a VPN. It took a routing mark to get the routing correct.
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 62#p412455

jayd2k
Topic Author

Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:51 pm

I had a similar issue using a VPN. It took a routing mark to get the routing correct.
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 62#p412455
Well, yes, it would help with this but from my understanding placing a routing mark as with your post will basically match all traffic that's coming from the DMZ subnet. But the hosts in the DMZ should still be able to communicate to the outside w/o having all outbound traffic routed via the VPN by default. In fact the VPN only carries inbound but no outbound traffic.

I also wonder if it wouldn't make sense to implement this using >ip route rules instead which would classify traffic based on the IP layer only. Guess it would be much faster compared to placing a routing mark using iptables (netfilter) running mangle. However, it gives you more fine-grained control when pushing traffic into a separate routing table based on certain constraints like the transport protocol or the used communication port.
Last edited by jayd2k on Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

dog
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:21 pm

This should be quite easy using two mangle rules.

Create a first rule that marks connections coming from the VPN tunnel and not having a mark already.
Create a second rule that applies a new routing mark to packets marked with the connection mark and coming from the DMZ.
Add a new routing table with the routing mark and route via VPN.

This works because when marking a connection the router will automatically give that mark to response packets too.

Here is an (slightly different) example were the router itself is a VPN endpoint reachable via two internet connections:

ros code

0   ;;; Mark packets received from LTE
     chain=input action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=from-lte 
     passthrough=yes in-interface=ether2-lan 
     src-mac-address=24:65:11:xx:xx:xx connection-mark=no-mark 

1   ;;; Mark response packets to be sent via LTE
     chain=output action=mark-routing new-routing-mark=lte-route 
     passthrough=yes connection-mark=from-lte

jayd2k
Topic Author

Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:52 am

This should be quite easy using two mangle rules.

Create a first rule that marks connections coming from the VPN tunnel and not having a mark already.
Create a second rule that applies a new routing mark to packets marked with the connection mark and coming from the DMZ.
Add a new routing table with the routing mark and route via VPN.
Well, in my lab I came up with the following but somehow it still doesn't work.

When both mangle rules are enabled inbound traffic via vpn does no longer reach the host located in the DMZ.

ros code

[admin@R2-PBR-LAB] > ip firewall mangle export 
# mar/11/2014 08:32:57 by RouterOS 6.10
# software id = RNN2-JRDD
#
/ip firewall mangle
add action=mark-connection chain=prerouting connection-mark=no-mark in-interface=vpn-ext new-connection-mark=from-vpn
add action=mark-routing chain=prerouting connection-mark=from-vpn new-routing-mark=route-vpn
The following shows the additional RIT with name "route-vpn" that's being referenced for the return path:

ros code

[admin@R2-PBR-LAB] > ip route export 
# mar/11/2014 08:32:50 by RouterOS 6.10
#
/ip route
add distance=1 gateway=vpn-ext routing-mark=route-vpn

dog
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:59 am

Well, take a look again at what I said:
Right now you are switching inbound traffic to a routing table that no longer has the destination it is supposed to reach.

jayd2k
Topic Author

Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:20 am

Well, take a look again at what I said:
Right now you are switching inbound traffic to a routing table that no longer has the destination it is supposed to reach.
Got you, it's working perfectly fine now, thanks!

ros code

[admin@R2-PBR-LAB] > ip firewall mangle export 
# mar/11/2014 09:19:55 by RouterOS 6.10
#
/ip firewall mangle
add action=mark-connection chain=prerouting connection-mark=no-mark in-interface=vpn-ext new-connection-mark=from-vpn
add action=mark-routing chain=prerouting connection-mark=from-vpn new-routing-mark=route-vpn src-address=10.12.0.0/24
/ip route
add distance=1 gateway=vpn-ext routing-mark=route-vpn
/ip settings
set rp-filter=no
It just took me a while to wrap my head around this ;)

StNick
just joined

Re: PBR - Ensure traffic leaves the same interface it arrives on

Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:37 pm

Just wanted to thank both dog (for the solution) and jayd2k for providing his working rules. This helped me sort out a similar problem where my LTE connection was my default route, but I wanted to be able to come in via my ADSL interface.

I had to add an extra mangle rule on the output chain to allow me to log into the Mikrotik itself via the ADSL. Won't claim to understand it, but it works. I can now get to the router via Winbox from outside, and I can also get to devices behind NAT.

My three rules then:
/ip firewall mangle
add action=mark-connection chain=prerouting connection-mark=no-mark in-interface=ADSL1 new-connection-mark=ADSL
add action=mark-routing chain=prerouting connection-mark=ADSL new-routing-mark=ADSL src-address=192.168.0.0/24
add action=mark-routing chain=output connection-mark=ADSL new-routing-mark=ADSL

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:10 pm

I had to add an extra mangle rule on the output chain to allow me to log into the Mikrotik itself via the ADSL. Won't claim to understand it, but it works. I can now get to the router via Winbox from outside, and I can also get to devices behind NAT.
If you're interested, the packet flow diagram will show you why:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Packet_Flow_v6

Mangle Prerouting is only called when packets arrive at the router from outside the system.

When the Mikrotik's internal process generates a packet to send to your Winbox client, the packet starts at the far right of the main diagram "router processes" - then goes downward through local_out, then the question "IPv4 or IPv6" is yes, so it follows link K into the routing block.

In the routing block, the path will be: Routing Decision, [Output], [Postrouting], IPSec Decision (no), (L)

So then looking at the [Output] and [Postrouting] groups below, you'll see that Mangle Prerouting is never called, but that Mangle Output is called.

HTH.
Last edited by ZeroByte on Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StNick
just joined

Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:37 am

In the routing block, the path will be: Routing Decision, [Output], [Postrouting], IPSec Decision (no), (J)
Thank you for the explanation. I've taken a look and tried to make sense of it, but this could be above my pay-grade.

I'm not sure how you ended up at "J" in your example I've quoted. I would have thought it would end up at "L" if it followed your decision path.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:41 pm

I'm not sure how you ended up at "J" in your example I've quoted. I would have thought it would end up at "L" if it followed your decision path.
Oops - you're right - I was flipping back and forth between browser tabs and my brain changed the L to a J by the time I was typing again. :?

I'm going to edit my previous post just so that people reading along later don't get confused.