Community discussions

MikroTik App

jarosoup
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Using DHCP Next Pool with Hotspot

Tue May 09, 2006 12:11 am

Hello, all. I'm curious if adding and then assigning a new DHCP pool to the Hotspot's DHCP pool (next pool) works when using a Hotspot? Our hotspot is running on an internal /24 lan scope, which is now nearly full (we are almost out of leases). I'd like to just add a new pool and have leases handed out from that.

I figure I'll have to add a new src-nat rule to masquerade a new IP pool (another /24) and make sure I've got an address from this pool assigned to the internal ethernet interface. Is there anything else that needs to be done. Does this work whit the Hotspot? I'd like to avoid changing the orignial IP subnet and everything else attached to it if possible. Thanks.

jarosoup
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Fri May 19, 2006 12:53 am

Thought I'd answer my own question here in case anyone else is curious about this...The next pool feature does work fine with Hotspot. You've got to add the masq rule, ip subnet, and dhcp networks for it to fail over but it does indeed do what it's supposed to. Hats off to Mikrotik for this feature 8) It's certainly easier than changing IP subnets and redoing IPs on a growing network.

ener
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Using DHCP Next Pool with Hotspot

Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:30 am

hello sir, can you help me how to setup this? please do message mo or add me up, thanks

Rudios
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:41 am

hello sir, can you help me how to setup this? please do message mo or add me up, thanks
Not sure whether this is seen by the original poster since it's a pretty old thread.
Things you need to do
- Create a new IP pool
- Assign a new (additional) IP address on your local interface, this IP address should be in the same subnet as your IP pool
- Create a new /ip dhcp-server network assignment to handout default gateway and dns addresses along the DHCP

Depending on your existing NAT masquerade rule you need to add another one.
If you post your config we can give you more indepth advise

ener
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:07 am

thanks you, yes sir i have set the next pool , i was planning to do next pool with different subnets in the next pool.. pool1 192.168.1.100 - 254 and the next pool is 192.168.2.1 - 254..