Community discussions

MikroTik App

Egate
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

WISP PCC, double nat, gamers strict nat any suggestions

Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:03 pm

We only have access to 4Mb/s ADSL lines. In order to function as a WISP, we have 30 of these lines set up in a PCC setup and of cause using masquerading on the WAN side. Our clients has a SXT panel that is also set up with masquerading and sub-net /29 to supply them with 5 ip's. Classic double natting, but no way around this. They can of cause use UPNP for the XBox, Battlefield and most new games. This does function on the SXT panel but of cause does not translate through to the cloudcoure PCC gateway router. Causing gamers to have strict NAT indicated when testing NAT status. I am trying to find a way to resolve this and would appreciate any ideas or suggestions to resolve this.

rickfrey
Trainer
Trainer

Re: WISP PCC, double nat, gamers strict nat any suggestions

Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:24 pm

You might separate one or more of the WAN connections and try a scenario like the EOIP one listed here.
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Training_Labs
That will allow you to use the uPNP and bypass some of the problems while leaving most of the bandwidth available for the rest of the customers.

Egate
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:34 pm

Hi Rick. Thanks for the response. Two problems. First of the ADSL is PPPoE connections with public ip's, but not static. Change when ever connection is lost. Second this is the only public ip's available, only 30.
Did have a look around and found a provider that will supply 5 static ip's per PPPoE connection, using IPsec.This will give me 150 public ip's. Will be a good start, maybe in conjunction with your solution.

whoknew
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:24 pm

Pull out a couple of the DSL connections from the PCC loadbalancing and manually route the customers with gaming consoles. Also UPnP for me was broken in 6.10 I have not tried it in awhile.

Do you have the internal network Vlan'd out?

MovingNetworksFwd
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:28 pm

This may not fit your scope solution but I thought I would mention it anyway. If you want to stay out of reconfiguring your network for the gamers you can instead program an rb751/951 to dial a PPTP connection to a company such as Liquidvpn. This would cause the router in the house to directly acquire a public IP address and allow UPnP to manipulate the NAT rules for that new address.

An additional bonus to this is it can travel with the game console if or when it moves but the downside is there is a small monthly fee for the service, $4.95 for this company if I remember right. This solution will give you the benefit of leaving your network as configured since by default the VPN finds its way out of a NATed network easily and creates its own virtual internet connection with no interactions from you.

Ryan

Egate
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:41 pm

Hi. Woknew, your idea is sound. but i would only be able to accommodate one client per PPPoE. Very officiant way of doing it. Have no Vlan out.
This brings me to MovingNetworksFwd. The VPN is actual a very good idea, almost perfect, exept for the fact that we are in South Africa without any local VPN server. Because of this the pings would be around 300 ms. This is of cause bad for gaming. :-)

MovingNetworksFwd
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:40 pm

Hi. Woknew, your idea is sound. but i would only be able to accommodate one client per PPPoE. Very officiant way of doing it. Have no Vlan out.
This brings me to MovingNetworksFwd. The VPN is actual a very good idea, almost perfect, exept for the fact that we are in South Africa without any local VPN server. Because of this the pings would be around 300 ms. This is of cause bad for gaming. :-)
The high latency won't work so good you are correct but I still may be able to do something for you regarding the VPN if you would like to contact me about it off forum. I can be reached at ryan@movingnetworksforward.com.

Ryan