Community discussions

MikroTik App

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

firewall filter 'drop' rule not working?

Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:59 pm

I have one CCR where traffic from client with local IP 172.25.10.5 enters router on interface that is part of a bridge.
(Traffic comes in with vlan. This vlan has the def. gateway IP for the client's network. This vlan sits on a bridge interface. Bridge interface has several incoming physical (ethernet) interfaces for client traffic from different directions)

Same router has WAN interface connected to ISP. (This interface is on its own, not part of bridge or whatever.)

In router we have src-nat rule translating local IP into public IP.
add action=src-nat chain=srcnat comment="" out-interface=ether1-WAN src-address=1xx.xx.xx.xx to-addresses=89.140.xxx.xxx
Router has conn. tracker enabled and all clients have same rule for them and all public IP's are on the WAN interface.
So far this all works fine for many clients and several years. But now I want to setup a system where clients are presented a 'reminder to pay' html page and at the same time block their traffic. So spend some time reading on the forum and the aid of google and decided to start;

In router I make firewall address-list listing of client local IP and call it 'test'
add address=172.25.55.9 list="test"
In router I make firewall filter with srce-address list 'test' to drop traffic for that client while dns requests are still handled.
add chain=forward comment="tcp dns requests accepted for test clients" dst-port=53 protocol=udp src-address-list="test"
add chain=forward comment="tcp dns reply accepted for test clients" dst-address-list="test" protocol=udp src-port=53

add action=drop chain=forward comment="tcp p80 traffic for test_client is blocked. (No More Browsing!)" src-address-list="test"
Now, I open browser on client, page not loading... that is good.
I open another browser on same client laptop, page not loading.. good.
I open http file download... file is downloading.... not good!
(The file download is actually done by an http:// url download from a microsoft server. That would make it a p80 download no?)

My rules should block all traffic, no? Obviously not...why not? :(

Caci99
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: firewall filter 'drop' rule not working?

Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:15 pm

Try a netstat on client PC and see what connections are active, also look at connection tracking on router what connections of the client are established.
Anyway, have you considered using radius for your purpose?