Member Candidate
Topic Author

411GL switchport input & crc erros

Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:37 pm

Hello,

We have a couple of 411GL boards connected with:

TP-POE-24G injectors

http://www.wlan1.com/product_p/tp-poe-24g.htm

Whenever we connect these injectors to our gig switch we get input and crc errors on the switchport. This is after 20 seconds of traffic:

GigabitEthernet0/45 is up, line protocol is up (connected)
Hardware is Gigabit Ethernet, address is 0023.349f.f0ad (bia 0023.349f.f0ad)
MTU 1500 bytes, BW 100000 Kbit/sec, DLY 100 usec,
reliability 246/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
Keepalive set (10 sec)
Full-duplex, 1000Mb/s, media type is 10/100/1000BaseTX
input flow-control is off, output flow-control is unsupported
ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 04:00:00
Last input 00:00:19, output 00:00:01, output hang never
Last clearing of "show interface" counters 00:04:45
Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
Queueing strategy: fifo
Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
5 minute input rate 654000 bits/sec, 90 packets/sec
5 minute output rate 656000 bits/sec, 93 packets/sec
28588 packets input, 26524114 bytes, 0 no buffer
Received 21 broadcasts (9 multicasts)
0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
151 input errors, 17 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored
0 watchdog, 9 multicast, 0 pause input
0 input packets with dribble condition detected
29954 packets output, 26589952 bytes, 0 underruns
0 output errors, 0 collisions, 0 interface resets
0 unknown protocol drops
0 babbles, 0 late collision, 0 deferred
0 lost carrier, 0 no carrier, 0 pause output
0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

We have a ton of 411AH boards with no issues. Has anyone else see these problems with the 411GL's?

Switches are Cisco 3560G. If we change the injector to a 100M injector then the errors are a lot less, but not completely gone. This issue has been verified on multiple switches with different routerboards. All have been upgraded to the latest version 5.24 along with the latest firmware 3.x

Thanks,
Dan.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: 411GL switchport input & crc erros

Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:45 pm

I have seen your issue over and over many many times. Every Mikrotik I have played with that has POE on Ether1 has problems on long cables. You can see there error counts on a cisco switch when you do a "show interface".

Here is my solution:

Run two or three shielded ethernet cables to the Mikrotik. Use Ether2 and/or Ether3 for your 1-Gig full duplex ethernet links to your Cisco switch. Optional - the POE on ethernet1 should be shut and just sitting there in case you should need it.

If you perform a bandwidth test through the etnernet1 cable to another mikrotik over ethernet you will really see the ethernet1 errors shoot through the roof. If you perform a bandwidth test through ether2 ot ether3 you will see zero errors and you will also see a much greater throughput.

I do not know why Mikrotik POE Ether1 have so many problems on every Mikrotik , so I made it standard operating procedure on every Mikrotik we install to run two or three shielded cables - no more problems and faster throughput.

FYI - When a POE ether1 starts dropping packets, the cisco switch and everything else in the network treats it like a RED (Random Early Detect) condition and slows down the ethernet data. The problem however is that this is not a RED condition, it is a Mikrotik POE ether1 problem.

danletkeman
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:55 pm

Thank you for the reply.

Which boards are you seeing this problem with? All of them?

I only see this problem with 411GL's. The 411AH boards we have are using up to 325' cables with no issues.

I did some more testing and connected the 411GL in my lab:

411GL --- 10' cat6 cable --- TP-POE-24G Injector ---10' cat6 cable --- 3560G switch. With this setup I see instant CRC and input errors. I then removed the injector and used a power supply instead of using POE and the errors are gone. So this rules out the theory of long cables being and issue because long cables work fine on 411AH boards and short cables don't work on 411GL's.

I think it is just a bad design on the POE injector, but I am still not sure yet.

Dan.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:05 pm

Thank you for the reply.

I only see this problem with 411GL's. The 411AH boards we have are using up to 325' cables with no issues.

411GL --- 10' cat6 cable --- TP-POE-24G Injector ---10' cat6 cable --- 3560G switch. With this setup I see instant CRC and input errors. I then removed the injector and used a power supply instead of using POE and the errors are gone. So this rules out the theory of long cables being and issue because long cables work fine on 411AH boards and short cables don't work on 411GL's.

I think it is just a bad design on the POE injector, but I am still not sure yet.

Dan.
I see this problem with every RB4xx. It does not matter if I use 10 or 100 or 1000 meg links.
I have also seen this with the RB600.

Try these tests:

1) take two mikrotiks (or a PC running BTest and a Mikrotik) and use a Cisco switch, use only POE on Ether1 and run a bandwidth test in both directions you will see the error counts start jumping on the Cisco switch.

2) Repeat the #1 test above but vary the Ether1 connected speed from 10 to 100 to 1000

3) Repeat tests 1 & 2 but this time use Flood Ping in the Mikrotik.

4) Repeat tests 1 -through- 3 above but this time use ether2 or ether3 on the Mikrotik. Can you verify the error counts shown on the Cisco switch show zero errors when using something other that ether1 POE?

I have no idea why the ether1 (POE) errors are there. It might be the Mikrotik or it might be the POE injector.

danletkeman
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:19 pm

Thank you for the reply.

Dan.
I see this problem with every RB4xx. It does not matter if I use 10 or 100 or 1000 meg links.
I have also seen this with the RB600.

Try these tests:

1) take two mikrotiks (or a PC running BTest and a Mikrotik) and use a Cisco switch, use only POE on Ether1 and run a bandwidth test in both directions you will see the error counts start jumping on the Cisco switch.

2) Repeat the #1 test above but vary the Ether1 connected speed from 10 to 100 to 1000

3) Repeat tests 1 & 2 but this time use Flood Ping in the Mikrotik.

4) Repeat tests 1 -through- 3 above but this time use ether2 or ether3 on the Mikrotik. Can you verify the error counts shown on the Cisco switch show zero errors when using something other that ether1 POE?

I have no idea why the ether1 (POE) errors are there. It might be the Mikrotik or it might be the POE injector.
I only have 411Ah and 411GL boards so I only have one port. But I tried all of the combinations I have and they are all error free except for the 411GL and a 3560G switch using a 1Gbps injector. That combination won't even connect to the switch. Except if I use a Copper SFP card in the 3560G or if I use a different switch, say a 2960 switch. So my problem is limited to only a certain model of switch and a certain model of routerboard when using a 1Gpbs injector, because using a power supply worked.

3560G --- 1Gbps Injector ---RB411GL = No (so many crc errors that the port shuts down)
3560G --- 100Mbps Injector --- Rb411GL = yes, but sometimes has errors
3560G --- RB411GL powered with a power supply = Yes
3560G(using a 1Gbps GLC-T SFP Card) --- 1Gbps Injector --- RB411GL = Yes
2960G --- 1Gbps Injector -- RB411GL = Yes

This has all been verified using 3 different 411GL boards, 3 different switches, and 6 different injectors. At this point it could be a problem with any one of the items.....

Dan.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:41 pm

If you only have a single ether (ether1) port on your mikrotik, I suppose this might be worth trying

Run two ethernet cables to the Mikrotik. Connect up Ether1 without a POE. On the second ethernet cable install a POE on one end and a splitter on the other end at the Mikrotik without actually connecting the RJ45 to any data jacks. The second ethernet cable is only power and no data.

I did this for a tower mounted Mikrotik which only had a single Ethernet port at it worked for me.

edit - forgot to add - I have seen this problem with every Cisco switch 100 or 1000 when connected to a Mikrotik ether1 using POE on a tower...

danletkeman
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:50 pm

The only thing that solved these issues was installing these injectors.

http://routerboard.com/RBGPOE

But I just recently experienced another problem with these injectors. The switch where they are directly connected to had a poe request from the routerboard which was powered through this injector. When this happened, all traffic stopped flowing through the switchport and the link was down.

The solution was to do a:

power inline never

command on the switchport.

This happened to both links I had running on the same switch with the same injectors. All of the other links running had different injectors and continued to run without issue.