Community discussions

MikroTik App

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Re: GEPON OLT with new mikrotik RB2011LS-IN - is it possible?

Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:20 am

Been waiting for this for a while, we have built a lot of layer 2 networks for FTTH with GPON and being able to use a MikroTik would be fantastic. GPON is really popular on a global scale now and is actually starting to be used in the Enterprise.

Here is a great overview of GPON in the enterprise:

http://packetpushers.net/podcast/podcas ... use-cases/

CelticComms
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:29 am

good news :)
in new 6.33 os mikrotik wants to support GPON - ONU with any routerboard with SFP port.
http://download2.mikrotik.com/news/news_68.pdf
I don't see any reason for it to be ROS 6.33 dependent. The SFP ONU handles the upstream ONU <> OLT protocols and upstream physical layer and then presents a layer 2 path to the RouterBoard so I would expect it to work with earlier ROS versions too. The sticking point previously was ROS recognising devices so Mikrotik sourcing such a device is certainly good news as it will drop the small volume price and avoid the hassle of having to hack the firmware on an SFP ONT to make it work.

It would also be good to see a Mikrotik combined automatic AE/GPON SFP module at some point since such modules already exist.
Last edited by CelticComms on Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

taduikis

Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:41 am

I expect it to work with FTC11 converter. No ROS v6.33 there. This has to be standalone SFP module.

realtime
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:58 pm

I don't see any reason for it to be ROS 6.33 dependent. The SFP ONU handles the upstream ONU <> OLT protocols and upstream physical layer and then presents a layer 2 path to the RouterBoard so I would expect it to work with earlier ROS versions too.
At the moment, I have no ONT module for experiments. But the ONU device has a configuration such as LLID and other, so I think that 6.33 version has this settings.
Can anybody test new version with ONT module? And please show to us screenshots of ONT device settings screen. Thanks to all! :)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:31 pm

I don't see any reason for it to be ROS 6.33 dependent. The SFP ONU handles the upstream ONU <> OLT protocols and upstream physical layer and then presents a layer 2 path to the RouterBoard so I would expect it to work with earlier ROS versions too.
At the moment, I have no ONT module for experiments. But the ONU device has a configuration such as LLID and other, so I think that 6.33 version has this settings.
Can anybody test new version with ONT module? And please show to us screenshots of ONT device settings screen. Thanks to all! :)
there are no settings in RouterOS, everything is in the GPON module.

jcomulada
just joined

Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:52 pm

Hi,

I've tested my GPON modules again in a 5 minutes test:

* OLT SFP Sourcelight ref: SLET-4311S-C2D
* ONU SFP Sourcelight ref: SLEU-3411S-E2D

Installed over 2 x RB2011, recognizes SFP module, but doesn't links
Installed over 2 x CCR1036: LINKS !!!!!!

ONU module has managed MAC address from the opposite CCR and appears at Neighbor list identified by SFP1 interface

On the other hand, CCR with OLT module installed, can't see any neighbor MAC in the SFP1 interface.

So, it seems RouterOS can negotiate with ONU OEM module but not with OLT OEM module.

I willl try to extend my explanation with some pictures in the next few days...

Josep

anshovas
just joined

Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:44 pm

ONU.jpg
OLT MK1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BrothersIT
just joined

Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:33 am

Exciting news. I've read the newsletter and am very excited for my local disitrubutor to get stock so we can try this.

It is however unclear from the newsletter and technical specs available whether the GPON ONU can be used as the OLT side as well.

If anyone from MK could confirm, I'm sure we are all eager to order and test!

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:53 pm

Exciting news. I've read the newsletter and am very excited for my local disitrubutor to get stock so we can try this.

It is however unclear from the newsletter and technical specs available whether the GPON ONU can be used as the OLT side as well.

If anyone from MK could confirm, I'm sure we are all eager to order and test!

I would suspect that it can not be used as a OLT (head-end) on the GPON. The xmit and receive laser light frequencies would need to be reversed.

krisjanis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:21 pm

The module is designed for use as client side device, ONT.

ffernandes
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:58 am

the zte f601 i got here... to catch the gpon signal the installer had to enter a code... so it can lock to the pon...will the mikrotik gpon module have that?

krisjanis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:37 pm

It works as standard SFP module. You attach it to PON network it gets detected OLT side(manually of automatically), then only to register it and apply configuration. Steps of course may vary depending on your OLT device.

Host device in which you plug in the GPON ONU module is not aware of fact that it differs in anyway from any ethernet standard SFP module. If this host device OS supports that then all you will get from module is standard DDMI output.

G2Dolphin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:18 am

So it won't have any settings regarding ONT authentication — password or SN change possibility?

bds1904
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:44 am

ONU.jpg
OLT MK1.png
You are on EPON, the mikrotik onu is a GPON device. Completely different standards.

krisjanis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:50 pm

So it won't have any settings regarding ONT authentication — password or SN change possibility?
As far as I know, no. It won't be possible to change those values.

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:12 pm

As you say in another post:

Confirmed OLT devices that work with this GPON ONT module.
* ZTE
* Huawei
* Alcatel-Lucent
* Calix
* Adtran

Today we tested Mikrotik GPON module with GPON OLT Raisecom and it don´t work.
Raisecom OLT see in discovery SN of GPON module. But it is not possible registered it.

Onu-register-4-Non-rc ONU register: OLT 1/2, illegal ONU register, SN 4d4b544b0c13dc14

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:58 pm

* ZTE
* Huawei
* Alcatel-Lucent
* Calix
* Adtran

Raisecom OLT see in discovery SN of GPON module. But it is not possible registered it.

Onu-register-4-Non-rc ONU register: OLT 1/2, illegal ONU register, SN 4d4b544b0c13dc14
re the Adtran - Was the Adtran a TA-5000 ?
A question; On the Adtran (GPON) a new device comes up with something like this:

!
remote-device ont 4@1/3/1.gpon
mac-spoofing-allowed enable
serial-number "IPHO00505fee"
no shutdown
!

Where (from the above example) the "IPHO00505fee" is the serial number of the attached customer GPON device. Is there a serial number listed on the Mikrotik GPON SFP module so that a network admin can find a newly connected device?

Is there any ability using the Mikrotik to get additional information from the GPON - such as signal strengths, distances and error counts & counters ?

JavierTF
just joined

Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:39 pm

As far as I know, no. It won't be possible to change those values.
So what about that?... may be posible to add this capability in future versions of RouterOS?? In Spain The ISP use HUAWEI OLT with this authentication type and they didn't support other ont than their owns, so the only solution we have if we want to change the OLT is find one that support the personalize of SN and Password for auth. and clone the one in the original ONT provided by ISP.

I promise you that if you provide this capability you will sell so much more GPON SFP modules :lol:

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Where can we get the Mikrotik GPON module from ?

Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:21 pm

I normally order through Titan wireless here in U.S. but they do not yet have them in inventory.

North Idaho Tom Jones

JavierTF
just joined

Re: Where can we get the Mikrotik GPON module from ?

Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:27 pm

I normally order through Titan wireless here in U.S. but they do not yet have them in inventory.

North Idaho Tom Jones
we get it through eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mikrotik-SFPONU ... SwnH1WarzW

draguzet
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:59 pm

In Croatia, also we must enter password in ONT to work with provider...but Mikrotik have no option for this ?

grapplerbaki
just joined

Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:15 am

Same in France, we need to enter the GPON device's Subcription Location Id (SLID) on the ONT in order to authenticate with the OLT.

Baki.

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Thu May 05, 2016 9:04 pm

Any update on OLTs that work with the MikroTik GPON SFP?

We've been looking at Huawei MA5608T - Mini OLT for testing but haven't decided on an OLT yet

http://huawei.com/ucmf/groups/public/do ... 390023.pdf

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:50 pm

Just checking in on this topic ...

Does anybody have a client Mikrotik working properly in a production GPON network ?

If so - what hardware are you using ?
If so - is everything working correctly or are there quirks ?
If so - how many client Mikrotiks do you have in your production GPON system ?

Thanks for any information

North Idaho Tom Jones

otgooneo
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:49 am

I request my vendor Calix to check compatibility with their E7 and now calix is checking. Seems like not works directly, said they have 1 issue and give me feedback later when they completely troubleshoot this issue. So far no update yet.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:49 pm

I request my vendor Calix to check compatibility with their E7 and now calix is checking. Seems like not works directly, said they have 1 issue and give me feedback later when they completely troubleshoot this issue. So far no update yet.
I almost went Calix - however in the end we with some Adtran TA-5000 units instead. Borh are good in my opinion.

North Idaho Tom Jones

mberniz
just joined

Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:28 pm

Hello,

Could you please provide a basic sample config for ZTE OLT?

Thanks in advance,

Miguel

* ZTE
* Huawei
* Alcatel-Lucent
* Calix
* Adtran

otgooneo
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:38 pm

I almost went Calix - however in the end we with some Adtran TA-5000 units instead. Borh are good in my opinion.

North Idaho Tom Jones
Calix colleague confirmed Mikrotik works ok with their E series OLTs.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:04 am

there are no settings in RouterOS, everything is in the GPON module.
Normis - re your post: there are no settings in RouterOS, everything is in the GPON module.

I've been trying for 3 weeks now to make a Mikrotik SFP GPON module work in my 2011UiAS-2HnD and I have had zero luck finding any documentation for what to do.
I am trying to get it to connect to a GPON network with an Adtran TA5000 head on. I know my GPON is good because other devices are talking on my GPON. My adtran sees the Mikrotik GPON module - but I don't know what to do and nothing appears to work to get it talking.
What should the Mikrotik see ? Is there anything in the Mikrotik that shows any information (GPON distance / db levels / anything ?
in Winbox - Interfaces - sfp1 - SFP, all fields are blank except SFP rate Select High and Module Present - and Status indicates there is a 1gig link.

ANY configuration examples - tips - what to do procedures for a Mikrotik and also an Adtran TA5000 is much needed.
FYI - There is absolutely zero on-line documentation I can find to make a Mikrotik SFP module talk to an Adtran :(

Help please

North Idaho Tom Jones

krisjanis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:14 am

Compatibility with Adtran brand OLTs was not confirmed by us, so we do not have configuration examples unfortunately. However I will try to get some info from people who did test this combination.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:46 pm

Compatibility with Adtran brand OLTs was not confirmed by us, so we do not have configuration examples unfortunately. However I will try to get some info from people who did test this combination.
Hey krisjanis

Thank you

After I get it figured out - I plan on creating an easy step-by-step procedure of everything needed to be done to get it talking to an Adtran (for bridging and routing and residential-gateway modes and possibly how to connect up multiple GPON satellite offices locations to a corporate GPON locationi).

Again - thank you

North Idaho Tom Jones

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:49 am

Well - today I finally got a Mikrotik (( 2011UiAS-2HnD )) with a Mikrotik GPON SFP talking to my Adtran TA-5000 head end.

You can pretty much forget about using google for help on this topic (Mikrotik GPON to Adtran) --- I found nothing after a month of searching.

What you need to do is configure the head-end for your GPON network to treat the Mikrotik GPON SFP module like a regular GPON bridge device (NOT a residential gateway).

The Mikrotik SFP interface does NOT need a vlan - - Treat the Mikrotik SFP interface with the GPON module inserted just like a regular Ethernet connection.

---
FYI
I still have a lot of work to try and test. I want to get it to pass vlans - and possibly get a SubH (out-of-band-management) working on my Mikrotik.

North Idaho Tom Jones

cadu19bv
just joined

Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:18 pm

Confirm the use of the s-gpon-onu module for OLT datacom dm4610

NahuelVara
just joined

Wed May 24, 2017 4:52 am

it is sad :(
i like mikrotik interface and hope for similar products in future

on this moment for my test i bought 2 x port OLT and 30 ONU (made in china) works fine.
OLT ~ 500 USD
ONU - 25 USD
Hey there! are those still working? are them difficult to config? I'm thinking about buying the OLT and a couple of ONT and splitter to try them. I want to provide FTTH network in a small village in Argentina like you!
Thanks!

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 24, 2017 7:54 pm

it is sad :(
i like mikrotik interface and hope for similar products in future

on this moment for my test i bought 2 x port OLT and 30 ONU (made in china) works fine.
OLT ~ 500 USD
ONU - 25 USD
Hey there! are those still working? are them difficult to config? I'm thinking about buying the OLT and a couple of ONT and splitter to try them. I want to provide FTTH network in a small village in Argentina like you!
Thanks!
I am sorry to say ... I am about ready to abandon the Mikrotik GPON module for a few big reasons:
- 1, They run hot
- 2, The few Mikrotik GPON modules I installed this last winter (in outdoor house mounted sealed boxes) are starting to die with the warmer weather. During the winter, it was cold outside and the Mikrotik GPON modules worked OK - however with the warmer weather, we are seeing them die and turn into SFP bricks that are totally dead. I installed four at customer locations and all of them are now dead. The only one still functioning is one I have in an air-conditioned server room.
-3, There is zero ROS support / reporting tools. It is pretty much impossible to get information such as distance reports and db signal strengths and the normal useful GPON status information you would normally expect with a normal OLT/ONT GPON device.

North Idaho Tom Jones