Community discussions

MikroTik App

andressis2k
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Poor SXT Power Adapter Quality

Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:44 pm

Hello. We've experienced that from last year, the AC-DC adapters that came with SXT Lite 5 (EU version) have much lower quality.

We replace about 10-15 each month. Customer calls because has no service. SXT is disconnected from Wireless Network, and Ethernet interface is connecting and disconnecting repeatedly.

If you touch the adapter, it's TOO HOT.

Replacing with a new one solves the problem.

Tested at lab, it gives about 10v, and gets hot in few minutes, even without any charge connected.

I've talked with some other ISP, and they're experencing the same issue.

Has it happened to someone else? Any answer from Mikrotik? Are power adapters covered by warranty?

Regards

zyzelis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Poor SXT Power Adapter Quality

Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:37 pm

Hello. We've experienced that from last year, the AC-DC adapters that came with SXT Lite 5 (EU version) have much lower quality.

We replace about 10-15 each month. Customer calls because has no service. SXT is disconnected from Wireless Network, and Ethernet interface is connecting and disconnecting repeatedly.

If you touch the adapter, it's TOO HOT.

Replacing with a new one solves the problem.

Tested at lab, it gives about 10v, and gets hot in few minutes, even without any charge connected.

I've talked with some other ISP, and they're experencing the same issue.

Has it happened to someone else? Any answer from Mikrotik? Are power adapters covered by warranty?

Regards
I can confirm, that adapters, which was bought with SXT lite5 last 1.5 years, dying regularly (about 6 adapters /month)

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:02 pm

I also had replace a few, new ones, 2015.

Petzl
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:05 am

I only use ubnt adapters, sometimes i use the mikrotik 24V 1A adapters.

i did try 2 times a 24V 0.38A adapter, they die verry quick.
when i opened one, the capacitors where crushed to get it into the plastic housing.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:07 am

Can you all please send us back a packet of these bad adapters that you have?
Especially if one of you is a MikroTik distributor, you could just include them in the next RMA shipment, so we can analyze the issue and make better adapters in the future.

I would help a lot, thanks!

If you need assistance in sending the adapters to MikroTik, email support@mikrotik.com

paoloaga
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:37 pm

We also experienced a lot of SXT power supply failures. About 20 / month on ~ 1000 SXT-Lite installed.

djdrastic

Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:18 am

Had a couple fail on me recently and thought it was just dirty power. Would there be any damage caused or warranty voided to the unit if I use the RB 951/RB 2011 24V 0.8A adapters on these units ? I have a lotta links with these radios so I'd rather be proactive and start replacing them now.

andressis2k
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:12 am

Had a couple fail on me recently and thought it was just dirty power. Would there be any damage caused or warranty voided to the unit if I use the RB 951/RB 2011 24V 0.8A adapters on these units ? I have a lotta links with these radios so I'd rather be proactive and start replacing them now.
Anything with 24V and 0,5A or above will work fine.

We have never replaced (til now) 24v 0,8A (from Netmetal, RB2011, etc). You can install them whith confidence

Regards

djdrastic

Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:36 pm

We have never replaced (til now) 24v 0,8A (from Netmetal, RB2011, etc). You can install them whith confidence

Regards

Thanks for confirmation :)

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:00 pm

Original power supply from mikrotik 24V 1000mA
Work only 2,5 years. Now only blinkink red led.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:20 am

That capacitor on the top right is buldging and the cause of your problem. I love how this problem is still around 15 years after the industry figured it out.

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:29 pm

Maybe those capacitors are still in stock and selling :D

taduikis

Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:06 pm

I can confirm this. We recently have an adapter or two failed every single day! All of them have the chip inside overheated - the PCB around it is dark brown. Before they fail, they heat up quite a lot.. And yeah, this is from batches shipped in past 1-2 years or so.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:04 pm

We still have not received any such defective adapters to our RMA. It would help a lot, if you sent them to MikroTik RMA instread of discarding them. I tried to contact people in this thread, so far, no luck. Please return the broken PSU to us for inspection

taduikis

Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:39 pm

We could do that, but they almost all are opened and with DC cables cut :)

taduikis

Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:16 pm

I included a few and handed to our distributor to deliver them to RMA.
We still have not received any such defective adapters to our RMA. It would help a lot, if you sent them to MikroTik RMA instread of discarding them. I tried to contact people in this thread, so far, no luck. Please return the broken PSU to us for inspection

aamuk
just joined

Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:34 am

I purchased two SXTsq 5ac units in the UK (from wifi-stock.co.uk) and they were supplied with a UK version of the power adaptors (with the UK 3-pin mains plug connection).

Unfortunately I’ve had 3 power adaptors that were supplied with the SXTsq 5ac fail in a very short time of use. They were plugged-in to stable mains power sources none of the other equipment connected next to them have had any issues.

It’s really quite disappointing that something so basic as the power supply unit is causing me so much grief. As I’m just an end user I don’t have spares laying around so with each failure you can imagine the situation of having to get a replacement, the costs and the down time.

Are the power adaptors really bad quality or have I just been unlucky? Should I be looking to use an alternative like the 24V Ubiquiti gigabit version with the built-in injector instead of the Mikrotik gigabit injector cable and power adaptor?

Also do the power adaptors have a warranty?

I’ve just been testing the SXTsq units but I’m quite concerned about what would happen if I started to use them properly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by aamuk on Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

taduikis

Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:25 pm

I believe it can be RMAed, but you most probably have to return the whole unit to them. I’ve bought a bunch of replacement 3rd party supplies and just replace them when they fail..

aamuk
just joined

Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:49 pm

Unfortunately wifi-stock in the UK told me the power adaptors are ancillary items and not covered by a warranty and only the radio itself would be covered. They told me they’ve tried to RMA adaptors to Mikrotik in the past and they would not accept them. Quite disappointing and unfair really, especially as I would consider the power adaptors to be a critical component for the unit to work and there is also the cost factors every time one fails. Over the years I’ve hardly had any power adaptors fail that have been supplied with CPE hardware, etc, so I’m very surprised (and actually quite shocked) how poor these one have been.

I’m going to have to look at buying my own better quality power adaptors. I kind of wish I had got the Ubiquiti NS 5AC Loco instead now, but it’s too late and I already have the SXTsq 5ac units.

Anyway, in the spec sheet for the SXTsq 5ac it says the voltage can be between 10V and 28V, so is there any reason why I shouldn’t be looking for say a high quality 12V unit or is there an advantage to it being 24V? It also says the max power draw is 7W and I’ve noticed that Ubiquiti have released a 7W version of their 24V gigabit POE adaptor, so I suppose that could also be an option in addition to their regular 12W version.

(BTW: I tried to see if I could reduced the display size of the attached adaptor pic in my earlier post but couldn’t find any obvious way).

aamuk
just joined

Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:45 pm

Having read around on the subject it seems that on one of my SXTsq units it would be ok to use a lower voltage power adapter as the cable run is only about 3m, whereas the other one has a cable run of about 25m so as to prevent loss / voltage drop over the distance I’d have to use a higher voltage unit like the 24V.

I’m looking for suitable better quality adapters at the moment as I can’t bring myself to try any more of the poor ones supplied with the Mikrotik units in the UK. Also I didn’t want to get something again, such as from wifi-stock, where they say they’re not covered by warranty. At the moment I’ve been looking at the 24V ones made by http://stontronics.com.