Community discussions

MikroTik App

jayk
Topic Author

RB1100AHx2 Poor Performance

Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:25 pm

We have an RB1100AHx2 that we use to route and provide PPPoE authentication to our WISP users through AP's. We have 50Mbps of Internet speed on port 1. Ports 2 - 10 are used to distribute the Internet to our customers through 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz AP's. We have noticed that none of our AP's ever go above 10Mbps when busy. At first we thought this was an AP problem. We have since tried hooking our laptop to one of the ports 2 - 10, gave it an IP address for that port and have used PPPoE to authenticate it and tried running various Internet speedtest's. We never seem to get anymore that 10Mbps through the ports. I am thinking we have some type of configuration problem but am not sure just what it might be. It could be the RB1100's hardware problem but am not sure. Has anybody else had this type of behavior? We are running v6.32.2 on this RB1100.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB1100AHx2 Poor Performance

Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:43 pm

check cpu usage when testing

are you using queues??

check mtu configuration

KBV
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:41 pm

tried running various Internet speedtest's
You do not control all the elements of the test to conclude that the problem is in you router.
What to you allows to draw conclusion what a problem in a RB1100AHx2, but not in hundred other routers in the Internet.

jayk
Topic Author

Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:34 pm

I find it odd that I can put 50Mbps into an RB1100 and only get 10Mbps out of any port using various Internet speed tests.

Quindor

Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:23 am

An RB1100AHx2 is capable of routing, NAT'ing, etc. several 100Mbits of traffic without breaking a sweat. So it itself is not the problem.

(BTW, before I start my whole story, my guess is you have a queue configured somewhere incorrectly which is causing everything to be limited to 10Mbit. Do your tests and while they are running, check in winbox --> queues if there is a queue filling up to the redline. If so, there is your culprit. Report back!)

But.... this all depends on how you configure it. For instance, have you have tried to test without using PPPoE? The reason I ask, is during troubleshooting you first need to find which components (hardware or software/configuration) is causing the problem and then you start looking at how to fix it.

As mentioned above, testing using internet speedtesting website is not the way to do it. When testing something you need to have as much of the variables as possible in your own hands. That way you have a clear expected, predictable and re-producable test with which you can start to form conclusions. I wrote a guide on iperf a while back and you can find it here: http://blog.quindorian.org/2014/05/a-gu ... ering.html
But, with that said, if you are only testing 50Mbit, it's probably "ok" to test it using Internet speedtest websites, but keep in mind it could skew your results.

So tests I would propose:

- Clear the whole config and configure a as simple configuration as possible and test every port to see what the transfer speeds are. This should yield full bandwith results, if it does not there is 2 things to look at. A. Is the RB1100AHx2 broken? B. Is something else up the chain causing the problems.

For A. Connect a computer to port 1, connect a computer to port 12 and do an iperf.
For B. Do exactly the same as above.

Depending on the results, continue.

If above works correctly. It has to be a configuration problem. Start setting up every step you normally configure and test each time to see what changes.

Ok...so that should get you going. Report back please!

jayk
Topic Author

Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:20 pm

Sorry for the delay. I have had to be out of town this last week. Thanks for the troubleshooting method. I will give it a try and let you know next week. Thanks