Community discussions

MikroTik App

syadnom
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

advice on CCR for 1Gb simple queues +

Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:57 am

I can't seem to find any performance numbers on what each CCR can handle as far as queuing capacity.

anyone got a link? I'm running RouterOS v6 on x86 right now and the platform limitations are an issue (2GB RAM primarily). Thinking of moving to a pair of CCR units in VRRP but queues are a major part of the decision. I can handle well over 1Gbps w/ the current hardware and I don't want to go backwards.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: advice on CCR for 1Gb simple queues +

Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:05 am

im curious in your x86 deployment how do you use 2gb of ram in router os?? wich functionalities use that amount of ram?

syadnom
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:27 am

I'm not really up against the ram right bow, but will be doing a couple bgp sessions, ospf, queues, the dude. 2GB dries up quick.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:46 am

i think for heavy lifting a good x86 is better because the single thread performance of for example a 4790k intel cpu at 4ghz has no rival

for example for full bgp feed processing x86 will be faster at least until ros7 will do multi threaded bgp

in this page there are some test on ccr1072 and ccr1036 to give some idea

http://www.stubarea51.net/

syadnom
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:52 pm

Queues are really what I'm concerned with. I'm concerned that the CCR series won't do well with a single top-level queue.

example
ISP gives me 1Gb/1Gb.

I want a single top level queue for downloads of 1Gb ( or slightly less ), and each sub will have that as the parent. This way I can keep headroom on the link so I'm not dropping packets on the upstream provider's queue or hardware interface.

From what I'm reading, the CCR will want somewhere near the core count in top-level queues. That implies that no mater the model of CCR, I'll get roughly the same queue performance because I'll be trapped on a single core (in ROSv6 at least). Is that true?

syadnom
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:24 pm

my current hardware is a 2.4Ghz Core2Duo. I can push ~800Mbps across a queue on this with BTest to an identical router on the other side (as in BTest isn't using this router's resources). Because the 'target' of the speed test is a routeros box, I don't have access to do an iperf test right now and I think the BTest tool is pretty limited. Also, I'm on 1Gb ports so I'd have to do multiple interfaces/parallel tests.

my hardware is aging though and looking to update.