MikroTik App

G2Dolphin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

mAP lite

Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:37 pm

http://routerboard.com/RBmAPL-2nD

What a beauty! Looks like this is best designed MT router for me. It doesn't have a USB host? In that form-factor it can be really useful.

Seems like original mAP-2n will be upgraded soon to dual-chain mAP-2nD too. Maybe this time with not-passive PoE too? :)

UPD: yeah, in the Quick Guide written USB "for powering only". Still a good AP, with true-PoE.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: mAP lite

Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:36 pm

nice device, very good price

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:09 am

Truly very nice.

darkprocess
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

mAP lite

Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:27 am

Ordered two

juanvi
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:31 pm

Great piece of art. Beatutiful design.
Ordered two
Where do you ordered?

doneware
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:29 pm

it is very attractive

price $20-25
num of chains 2
real af poe

but i want all three, not the usual "you can only have two of them" story.
this is actually what cAP should have been.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:03 pm

passive PoE is cheaper to implement no need for expensive injectors and or switches, that's why mikrotik uses passive PoE to make devices and implementation more affordable.

darkprocess
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:39 pm

I ordered it here

http://www.ip-sa.com.pl/lite-mapl-p-2047.html

Delivery planned for tomorrow ;)

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:38 am

will be interesting to see a photo of the inside of that device

G2Dolphin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:20 am

passive PoE is cheaper to implement no need for expensive injectors and or switches, that's why mikrotik uses passive PoE to make devices and implementation more affordable.
It's always better when device supports 802.11af too. If you don't have PoE infrastructure -- add splitters and use passive PoE, but if you already have -- it's "Plug and Play".

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:09 am

will be interesting to see a photo of the inside of that device
inside from FCC
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

darkprocess
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

mAP lite

Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:03 pm

I Got it. It's so tiny. Great product !!!

G2Dolphin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:24 am

I Got it. It's so tiny. Great product !!!
Photos? Tests? Screenshots? :)

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:19 am

Good idea to make it usb powered. So if there is no poe a powerbank can keep it running.

juanvi
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:34 am

Good idea to make it usb powered. So if there is no poe a powerbank can keep it running.
Or directly from a usb port from a smart tv/pc. No more PSU/AC plugs! :mrgreen:

Caci99
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:23 pm

I just put my hands on this device and it is very nice. Still figuring out the range of use of it, it is to be considered as "mobile" wireless device rather than a fixed one, although it will serve as a fix AP very well.

Anyway, my problem is with its default configuration. In a device which has only one ethernet interface, prohibiting connection to that interface by default is ... well how can I put it, dumb? :) Even if it gets an IP from dhcp-client configuration you can not connect it using IP or mac. I managed to connect to it using tik-app from my android phone and disabling the rule in filters which drops connection on ether1. I guess that even reset it will always bring the default configuration, only other way is to netinstall.

Now if you're planing to give it to end users, this is going to be a real pain, unless of course you do the configuration for yourself and hope that the end user does not reset it, or ... I am dumb myself and don't know how to use the default configuration :)

emils
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:24 pm

By default, you are only able to access the router through wireless interface as it is stated in the quick guide. The logic behind that is the ethernet goes to wall (ISP) and users are connected to wireless.

Caci99
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:37 pm

By default, you are only able to access the router through wireless interface as it is stated in the quick guide. The logic behind that is the ethernet goes to wall (ISP) and users are connected to wireless.
Fair enough, but you have to consider that a lot of people still use ethernet for configuration. While wireless devices are at hand of almost every one, it is not easy to configure a router using tik-app which is still in development. You have not implemented such thing for SXT for example. I know SXT is supposed to connect to internet through wireless and ethernet to the end user, but still it is so much more handy to configure through ethernet, in my opinion.

darkprocess
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

mAP lite

Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:25 pm

Anyone knows which are the serial ports?

G2Dolphin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:31 pm

Anyone knows which are the serial ports?
Do you have any in System - Ports? If not, what exactly are you looking for?

darkprocess
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

mAP lite

Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:40 pm

Pins on motherboard

G2Dolphin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:04 pm

Pins on motherboard
Well, using that single photo on this thread, look like these pins are on bottom left.

ivaaan
just joined

Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:23 pm

Hello! I also got one device. Can anybody explain why this device consumes so much power 3,5W.
I planned to use PowerBOX to connect 4 mAP lite, but it looks like that in this case it is not possible to use it. Even original power supplier provides 2000mA.

I'm right? If so what the best practice to use PoE with mikrotik APs? Traditional PoE injectors is not good solution due to original power supplier of mAP lite has usb connector.

Thanks!

PaulsMT
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:09 am

Hello! I also got one device. Can anybody explain why this device consumes so much power 3,5W.
I planned to use PowerBOX to connect 4 mAP lite, but it looks like that in this case it is not possible to use it. Even original power supplier provides 2000mA.

I'm right? If so what the best practice to use PoE with mikrotik APs? Traditional PoE injectors is not good solution due to original power supplier of mAP lite has usb connector.

Thanks!
PowerBox comes with 24v 2,5Amp power supply, which is completely fine to power four mAPL. While PowerBox output voltage is the same as input voltage (24V), one mAPL at max power consumption will require 0.145A

http://routerboard.com/RB750P-PBr2

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:46 am

also, note that maximum power consumption is exactly that - maximum. When tested the router is loaded artificially to the maximum, it is not the normal use. For normal use mAP Lite will consume a lot less.

Alen43
just joined

wifi modes

Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:26 pm

Does it have full routerOS functions? I'm wondering if after initial setup I can place it in station mode. Is it possible to use map-lite's ether port to connect the device to wifi ap? What is the range of wifi? Someone mentioned room range.

Caci99
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:22 pm

Does it have full routerOS functions?
Yes it does, but keep in mind it is a small device so no fancy configurations (vpn, vlan, bgp :) )
I'm wondering if after initial setup I can place it in station mode. Is it possible to use map-lite's ether port to connect the device to wifi ap?
Of course you can, either station or AP is up to the scenario of use. That's the beauty of it, I consider it as a "mobile" wifi device if that name makes sense.
What is the range of wifi?
Put it this way, is not that much suitable for covering an apartment, but very good for offices with two or three rooms, or as an extension to another room.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:43 pm

I got mine today, to serve as light home AP. First impression is great, it's really cute little device. But there are some downsides...

It has noise problem mentioned in newsletter thread. Mine is not high pitch, instead it sounds almost like a seeking notebook harddrive (a semi-modern one that you don't hear too much, but you still hear it). It's definitely connected to wireless activity, if there's none, there's no noise. With connected devices without any activity (just occassional packet here and there), it's possible to hear something that sounds like a little "cracks" up to 10cm from device. The worst case is when I try to copy big file from PC to notebook (so data going through bridged mAP mostly from ethernet to wifi), I can hear that six meters from device, no kidding. The other direction is not that loud. And even the first one is not consistent, it seems to start louder with sudden traffic jump and after few seconds it goes down noticeably (interestingly, often the speed goes up at roughly the same moment).

I also experienced 10Mbit autonegotiation problem when using magnet. I tried to reboot several times to see if it's reliable and it was. Free device not attached to anything = 100Mbit. Device attached to metal rack = 10Mbit.

I don't mind either of those too much. I don't need to have it attached using magnet, and with few exceptions now and then, this AP will be used only with low traffic (few phones and such). But there is something wrong with it.

DmitryAVET
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:22 pm

More photo and quick review mAP lite
http://lanmarket.ua/stats/obzor-i-testi ... a-mAP-lite

p.s. On high load device make squeak/noise... like dry capacitors
Last edited by DmitryAVET on Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:30 am

More photo and quick review
http://lanmarket.ua/stats/obzor-i-testi ... a-mAP-lite

p.s. On high load device make squeak/noise... like dry capacitors

as always very good review !!! 8)

masseselsev
just joined

Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:04 am

How are the signal levels?
For example in comparison to some usb wireless dongles, or internal laptop adapters.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:10 pm

In such case you should consider to add a rule that allows incoming traffic from the subnet that is active on the
ethernet side. Of course always a bit tricky, maybe you could allow connections from an address-list and add
the local subnet to the address-list automatically when the DHCP client gets it?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:25 pm

Yes it does, but keep in mind it is a small device so no fancy configurations (vpn, vlan, bgp :) )
This confuses me. If it is full RouterOS, why no VPN, VLAN or BGP?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:30 pm

This confuses me. If it is full RouterOS, why no VPN, VLAN or BGP?
It does have them. The mAP lite has a full speed CPU and will handle VPN and other features.

juanvi
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:41 pm

I love this small BEAST!

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:25 pm

It does have them. The mAP lite has a full speed CPU and will handle VPN and other features.
It looks great! Unfortunately our dealer does not yet sell mAP lite, but the mAP and the hAP AC lite are available.
Unbelievable what you guys make available and what possibilities these boxes include...

We will use them to connect a printer on remote location to our network via the guest WiFi of the customer,
using L2TP over IPsec with BGP to a Cisco router. It works fine on a RB951G-2HnD in test.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:21 am

For example in comparison to some usb wireless dongles, or internal laptop adapters.
I'd like to bump this question. I already have my own mAP lite and wanted to share my experience, but instead I'm starting to think that mine must be defective.

I use it at home as AP and right from the beginning it felt like its reception is maybe a little weak. But hey, it's tiny device with tiny antennas, you can't expect miracles. I now tested it as client against another MikroTik AP and compared to notebook, it got it's tiny ass kicked hard in terms of reception. Again, tiny device, tiny antennas, those in notebook are at least five times bigger, sounds believable to me. But then I tried the same test with another spare RB, R52 card and small RSMA antenna from old PCI wifi card, which is supposed to be 1dBi. The mAP lost again, and hard too. TX (mAP -> other device) is ok (it's limited by frequency-mode=regulatory-domain, so output of all devices is basically the same), but RX (other device -> mAP) is worse by more than 10dB...

Anyone else tried to test it like this?

sein
just joined

Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:20 am

I notice this as well, I would love to use mine as a Wi-Fi bridge device, but it only works about 1m from the source access point. At a reasonable distance where there are no issues with reception on any other device including mobile phones the mAP Lite is fairly useless.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:16 pm

If it works only 1m from AP, then it really sounds like broken. Mine is not that bad. Its reception level is maybe like a mobile phones have (which is much worse than notebook or AP with proper antenna).

flameproof
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:45 am

So, we're considering this for a WISP-type deployment, where we cable apartment buildings using the mAP Lite as the end-user device. Our big issue is when we have to mass-configure them - we currently have an auto-config system that does firmware upgrade, configuration, insert into inventory, etc. etc. via SSH, but having it block ethernet connections by default is a HUGE pain.

Is there -any- way to get around this? It's going to be an extra pain to have to connect to the Mikrotik-xxx SSID each time.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:50 am

netinstall, or flashfig.

buzzdee

Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:30 pm

I'd like to bump this, too. Did some experiments comparing the mAP lite against mAP 2n in terms of signal/snr, both configured as clients to the same AP. In all Tests mAP 2n seems to have better receiver sensitivity - at close range (two walls) usually ~3dB better than mAP lite, at longer range (one basement, one 1st floor) more like 5-6 dB, no matter if mAP lite has one or two Rx chains enabled. Signal to noise ratio on the mAP 2n was always 7-8 dB better. At close range, the AP however reads mAP lite stronger (higher Rx signal on AP), at longer range its the mAP 2n's advantage. To test the usability of the link, I mac-telnetted from the AP to the clients - at longer range, logging into the mAP 2n worked, into the mAP lite didn't.

I checked if the metal-magnets have anything to do with it (maybe covering the antennas from some angles) by removing mAP lite from its case - no change at all. Also switched the power-supplies (allthough they were all 5V 2000mA from the same manufacturer).

Of course, I only had one mAP 2n and two mAP lites to test, so extrapolating the results to all devices might be a little far fetched.

agfjpcs

Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:48 am

Has anyone tried to power this via USB port on a laptop? Such ports can only provide 500mw but this says 3500mw maximum
I'd like to have one of these in my laptop bag (ideally the normal mAP with its 2 ports to function as a USB powered switch/router)

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:11 pm

Such ports can only provide 500mw
You confuse mW with mA (and then write mw...)

colanderman

Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:50 pm

Has anyone tried to power this via USB port on a laptop? Such ports can only provide 500mw but this says 3500mw maximum
I'd like to have one of these in my laptop bag (ideally the normal mAP with its 2 ports to function as a USB powered switch/router)
mAP works fine for me powered by my MacBook Pro.

naxos
just joined

Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:29 pm

Hi,

does somebody have issue with factory reset of mAP? I've tried several times, but every time I want to login as admin with empty password (connected to its wifi) it failed with wrong username/password message.

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:56 pm

What procedure are you using to factory reset it?

naxos
just joined

Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:07 pm

I've been holding reset button during boot until other 3 LED flashes.

naxos
just joined

Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:44 am

Are there any other options to factory reset this device?

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:30 pm

I would Netinstall it.

When resetting, depending on time reset is kept pressed, device will:

- Reset to factory settings
- if keep pressing enter cAP mode
- if you keep pressing enter netinstall mode

"mastering" the time needed is also very related to specific device, so unless you intend to factory reset lots of devices, netinstall is usually the easiest way (keep pressing until you see the mAP appear on netinstall); moreover is the most complete recovery method on devices acting funky, so in the end is the most efficient method when dealing with standalone devices.

naxos
just joined

Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:46 pm

Thanks for answer.
I've been holding that reset button almost for 2 minutes and still nothing in Netinstall - just my hard drives. I've followed all steps I've found.
Power off the device
connect patch cable to ether port (there's just one) and directly to PC (set static IP on PC iface and set client IP in Netinstall to any from /24 subnet)
power on device while holding reset button
keep holding reset button until devices shows in netinstall - this never happend

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:47 pm

check if your PC has no firewall or antivirus that could stop incoming connections. you can also try to run Netinstall by right-click and "run as administrator"

naxos
just joined

Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:17 pm

I've disabled antivirus and firewall and ran program as administrator. Still no luck. I can see that netinstall does something when these tree LEDs on mAP flashes two times fast but no new device is in list. Is it correct to use the only one ether port on mAP for netinstall ?

kewlgai
just joined

Mon May 08, 2017 11:46 am

have the same problem with my cap lite, don't know know what else to do

freemannnn
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon May 08, 2017 12:43 pm

do you have many lan adapters (physical, vmware, virtualbox) on your windows installation? if yes disable all and leave enable you lan adapter connected to map.
also you should try to netinstall at different laptop or different pc. and different lan cable!

kewlgai
just joined

Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:44 pm

Your mAP lite has faulty ethernet port, i encounterd this on mAp lite and cAp lite

Scholar
just joined

Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:50 pm

Hi guys! Consider buying mAP lite to connect wired device to my home WiFi network. Can it be used as a wireless client?

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:04 pm

Yes. Despite being a tiny device, it supports all ROS features (CPU allowing).

darkrosse
just joined

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:54 pm

Hello there, folks!

I have recently purchased both MikroTik hEX (RB750Gr3) and mAP lite due to several misunderstandings and confusion.
First thing first - I have purchased a hEX device like a month ago before I moved into my new apartments, as I thought it will also give me a wireless network and after the setup, I realized this device does not support wi-fi.
After a short brainstorm, I decided to buy a mAP device to get my WiFi thingy going on and have chosen MikroTik`s mAP.

I managed to connect it(AP) to my router and accessed the quick setup via my mobile phone - the SSID and password have been adjusted and the device has been rebooted.
After that, I was not able to access interface of mAP via mobile phone nor my WLAN network had access to the WWW.
Will someone be so nice and explain to me what I did wrong or maybe give me few links which can guide me through the process of setting hEX + mAP?