Community discussions

MikroTik App

troffasky
Topic Author

Request: Natively manageable DSL modem

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:43 pm

Would like to see from Mikrotik a DSL device that can be managed from RouterOS with some kind of module in ROS itself - similar I suppose to the way that CAPsMAN manages remote APs, although really only for local devices.

If it could be powered with passive PoE from a Routerboard that would be great. USB is also a possibility .

I am aware that there are a large variety of DSL/ethernet bridge devices on the market already, and I am not looking for another one of those, thanks. What I am interested in is something that works closely with RouterOS for management purposes.

I have heard the suggestion that Mikrotik don't do any DSL because it's too hard to get regulatory approval for PSTN-connected equipment. I would counter that if any number of other manufacturers can get a DSL router on to the market for less than £20/25EUR then it really can't be that hard. I doubt TP-Link are doing any low-level engineering on the PSTN side anyway - they take a SoC from a vendor, slap their style sheet on the web interface, put a badge on the box that says "TP-Link" and throw it out the door.

I have heard the suggestion that DSL is "dying", and I would counter that perhaps the rate of growth for DSL has slowed, but with such a vast installed base, DSL is going to be with us for at least another decade.

expert
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Request: Natively manageable DSL modem

Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:45 pm