MikroTik App

mennowz
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Failed CCR PSU (CCR1036-8G-2S+)

Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:11 am

Hi all,

we have a failed PSU of a CCR1036-8G-2S+ , the CCR seems to get power for approx. 5 seconds and then power fails.. and after some seconds it tries again to power on.

We have replaced the PSU with a PSU from a CCR1016, and all is fine again, BUT we now need a new PSU for the CCR1036-8G-2S+

I have made 2 pictures :

One with the old PSU (without the partnumbers on it)
One with the new PSU (WITH the partnumbers on it)

The Spec is 24v 4A,... anyone came across this?.. tried the Distributor, but they have not replied to my question.

Thanks!

Menno
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kiler129

Re: Failed CCR PSU (CCR1036-8G-2S+)

Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:36 am

Looks like capacitors problem or current leakage in FETs. You could try to repair it - it should be cheap and easy ;)
Of course if you need one you should contact Mikrotik directly - they have parts for their devices. Just sent an e-mail to support@mikrotik.com.

SystemErrorMessage

Re: Failed CCR PSU (CCR1036-8G-2S+)

Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:51 am

I have the same issue and the same model however my PSU seemed entirely clean except for some white goo on a large capacitor and 2 other components next to it.

Upon close inspection i noticed a few things
1) stock cooling is poor that mikrotik has to resort to noisy deep fans, my modification involved using 20mm scythe fans for total silence while using tape to keep things airtight with some better thermal paste gave similar results to stock. My suggestion would be to use 4x 20mm fans (2 front, 2 back) for superior cooling.

2) PSU used by the CCR isnt beefy enough. The higher the temperature the more power is used. The difference between CPU temperature at 50C to 60C is about 7W during idle. There is also no cooling for the PSU and i noticed voltage drops that my CCR went into a boot loop. The PSU wasnt able to provide a stable 24V and when things heated up it dropped below 12V. I've been using this in a rack for over a year and only now did the PSU decide to start failing. The board temperature can go up to 50C but other routerboards dont have an issue when at this temperature.

Despite pointing out these problems many times it doesnt seem like mikrotik has acknowledged these problems. At first glance the stock cooling performance may seem good but when you take a close look you find that it is poorly designed. Despite having slots for 2 more fans the slots dont work and i have pointed out quite early that not having cooling for the entire case other than just the CPU itself is bad especially for the PSU. Now im going to need to find another PSU that would be compatible that can provide more watts, fit into the chassis and would at least have a heatsink. On stock it cant even realiably provide power through usb as plugging a raspberry pi in it would freeze within hours.