Community discussions

MikroTik App

Lilltiger
just joined
Topic Author

Hardware for Fiber based LAN

Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:54 pm

Hi!

I am going to build a LAN based on fibre for my house and I want some advice about wich hardware to use.

The house concists of three floors:

Basement:
Here the connections from the ISP vill be located, as well as a server and media-room.

Ground floor:
On this floor I have three bedrooms, kitchen, poolroom and a living room, so a total of 6 rooms that I want to connect.

Top floor:
Here I have a bedroom and a living room that both needs to be connected.

I got this infomation from my ISP:

"Vi sänder på 1550nm, så du behöver ha en sändare på 1310nm och en mottagare på 1550nm. Du behöver även en SC/APC - LC/UPC kontakt."

Translation:
"We are broadcasting on 1550nm, so you will need a transmitter of 1310nm and a reciver on 1550nm. You will also need an SC/APC - LC/UPC contact."

So wich would be the best and most cost effecitve way to build this, and what hardware would you guys recommend.
Should I use one router on each floor, only only one in the basement etc..

I would prefere to build it as a 10Gbit network but that might be too expensive, but examples of both 10Gb and 1Gb fibre solutions would be appriciated.

Sorry if this seems quite basic but I am totaly new to fibre networks.

Best regards
Peter

Lilltiger
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Hardware for Fiber based LAN

Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:42 pm

So I suppose this was the wrong forum to ask about this, can anyone suggest a place where one could get help with these things?

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:53 pm

http://routerboard.com/CRS212-1G-10S-1SplusIN and others...
Anyway, I fail to see the benefit of fiber for two floor house.

Lilltiger
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:32 am

It's not rely about the benefits, more about me wanting to learn how it works and try things out.
And as I dont realy know what stuff I would need it's hard to estimate a price for it as well. I have found out that one should buy premade cables because the tools for doing ones own are quite expensive it seems.
So the only benefit is the knowledge I would gain from doing it, and i thirst for knowledge.

But maybe it's just a bad idea?

brwainer

Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:37 am

Within a building, and especially with cable runs that don't come close to 100meters, it never makes financial sense to go with fiber. Cat 6a is rated for 10Gb ethernet at 100meters. While it is true that a fiber installation could be upgraded to even faster speeds in the future by replacing the electronics at the end, you still come put ahead by installing Cat 6a now, and replacing it with whatever the standard is in the future when 10Gb is too slow for you (this is a generalized statement but has been generally accepted by everyone that I've ever talked to).

to determine the cost of going with a full fiber interior installation, you'll need to price out the following parts:
  1. A device with an SFP (1Gb) or SFP+ (10Gb) port for every location you want to run fiber to, could be a router, switch, or media converter
  2. A switch or router with enough SFP or SFP+ ports at your central location to connect to each other location, OR a media converter for each other location
  3. SFP or SFP+ modules for every fiber run you have, one on each end - and the SFP or SFP+ modules have to match the type of fiber you install
  4. appropriate fiber. for the short distances of inside a house you would use multimode fiber, there is no reason to spend more on single mode fiber.
The final reason why using fiber when it isn't needed for distance or durability/longevity reasons is a bad idea is that it is much harder to work with, troubleshoot, and repair.

Lilltiger
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:55 pm

Thanks for the explanation and advice.

So the best way today to do it is to wire it with cat6 cable and run 1Gb untill there are good and well priced 10Gb rj45 switches/routers as there dosent seem to be any MicroTik 10GbE rj45 and very few from other brands.

barkas
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

AW: Hardware for Fiber based LAN

Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:59 pm

Note that there are no 10ge copper sfps.

Lilltiger
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:09 am

So cat 6 is rated at 10GbE but there are no devices for runing over 1Gb on it, or what do you mean barkas?

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:29 am

Are you really sure that you need spend money on 10Gb ?
Read this how hard is to saturate 10Gb devices: http://www.stubarea51.net/2015/10/09/mi ... t-testing/
Stay with 1Gb based on ethernet cables. Forget FO it is not worth to spend money on it in such small building. Look for fast WiFi ..
IMHO 1Gb technology is more than enough for you.

Lilltiger
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:04 am

I have 1Gb in my current setup in my old house and have had that for over 10 years, and I do max it out quite often and dont like the delay when transfearing files. I wouldent need 10Gb but around 3-5Gb would be preferable.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:56 am

Do you have computers/laptops with 10Gb lancard to fully utilize such network ?
SATA is 6Gb connector so you need RAID 0 configuration to be able to read/write data at speed which lets saturate 10Gb card. Except network you need all devices to be fast enough.
You should examine interface bonding which lets you combine 2+ interfaces to behave as faster one. Unfortunately MKT makes it in software not in hardware so it is not too fast.

Lilltiger
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:43 am

I have sata 6Gb and SSD disks, no need for any raid to max a 1Gb network as the limit is 125MB/sec and even an SSD on 3Gb sata will max that out.

But interface bounding seems intresting, I will look into that.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:02 am

I have sata 6Gb and SSD disks, no need for any raid to max a 1Gb network as the limit is 125MB/sec and even an SSD on 3Gb sata will max that out.
But for 10Gb you really need faster disks :-) .... see this http://louwrentius.com/74tb-diy-nas-bas ... linux.html
Write/read average speed is at 3 GB/s = 24 Gb/s but what the price is for such configuration ... just for test .... whew !!!

Lilltiger
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:15 am

Indeed 10Gb is just awsome, but then that was what we said about 10Mb back in they days. I remember when I bought the game Magic Carpet and the cd used a dual layer or something like that. The game was over 1GB big and harddrives back then was around 256MB.

So in another 15years we will probly laught at 10GbE as well ;)

shifto
just joined

Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:10 pm

Eventually wireless will be de facto standard for anything not in the server room. Connection speeds will keep increasing while reducing latency.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Hardware for Fiber based LAN

Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:39 pm

The idea about 10gigE is IMHO right. I would also think to change my backbones to 10gigE if it was easy. Actually it would speed up the backups and large file transfers. The disputation about the disk speeds is useless as non-raid ssds give more than 500MB/s normally these days. There are notebooks with m2 raid slots running almost 2GB/s. Had one of them in my hands giving 1.4GB/s with 3 cheap ssd modules. Unfortunately 10gigE cards are not commonly in computers so you need to buy them additionally and the network devices are expensive too. I would stay with wires on short distances instead the fiber.
I don't expect that the wifi can be used instead a wire where it is possible to run a wire.

Lilltiger
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:00 pm

I think I will just install plastic tubes and run cat 5 in them, then when 10GbE because more resonable priced I will upgrade to either fiber or cat6/8 depending on the preciepoints at that point.
I made that decission with a broken heart, would be very intresting to set up a fiber network.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:22 pm

Make your network with Cat6a cables ... higher cost of cables is much lower than cost of recabling.

lambert
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:36 am

What is cost effective doesn't matter if you want to play, and gain experience, with fiber. Do whatever you want.

I know a farmer with 40Gbps fiber in his barn, because he wanted to play. If you can afford to play, there are worse ways to "waste" your money. He translated play into business over the years. Apparently, you have to do something while the fields are snowed under. :-)

Conduit is always a good thing when you have access to put it in. Of course, conduit is expensive too. But it sure is nice when you decide you should have run more cables to a particular location. :-) If the walls are open, run fiber and cat6. Knock yourself out. You may decide to route speakers, intercom, USB, or HDMI across the copper for some reason. With conduit, you can change what's in the wall if you want large gauge speaker cables, or whatever.

In my home, a couple decades ago, I ran four strands of Cat5 to every outlet. Overkill, I hoped. Later on, I sometimes wanted more at various outlets when I got to playing. Re-arranging the house some years down the line can lead to you wanting connections where you never thought you might. That's where those plastic tubes beside every power outlet come in handy, but only if you put them in when the walls are open. I didn't have conduit. I did have four reels of Cat5 and it was as easy to pull four as one.

Whether it's worth it, or not, is up to the guy, or gal, putting it in.