Community discussions

MikroTik App

ZZTopper
just joined
Topic Author

Three RB951Ui-2nD hAP dead in a week with LTE modem in USB

Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:32 pm

So, this is a last resort for me.
I'm taking third RB951Ui-2nD hAP to seller tomorrow. Same with the third ZTE-MF823.
First one worked for almost a year, then I've changed modem from Yota LU-150 to ZTE MF-823.
It worked for a week, then lte1 interface was missing from interface list.
Also, it didn't show anything else than RB400 EHCI (device 1:1) in System - Resources - USB.

I tried to check the modem in my PCs usb port - nothing. Linux dmesg shows nothing. No led activity, no USB device in lsusb output.
I tried to put the other modem in Mikrotik's usb port - nothing. No new devices in System - Resources - USB, no new interface in interfaces list.
BTW, ether5's led is lit red, doesn't matter which POE out setting is set (auto on, off or forced on).
And box is REALLY HOT near the USB port.

So, after first time it happened, my seller replaced both Mikrotik and LTE modem.
Second pair (RB+MF823) worked less than a week. Completely same symptoms - both for modem and mikrotik's usb port.
Third one didn't last 24hrs. Completely same symptoms.
All three times mikrotik's box was cold while usb modem was working, but when red led was lit - it was extremely hot, usb port and modem were both dead.

Power adapter was replaced with all three times with Mikrotik, third rb+zte pair was tested by me at work, so no power line issues could give this result, as my server room at work has stabilized power for our servers.

First time modem was inserted directly into USB-port of Mikrotik device, second time it was inserted into 0.5m usb extension cable, third time it was inserted directly again.

Can someone help me please?
Is there any problem with ZTE MF-823 compatibility with Mikrotik devices?
Are there any solutions?

hedele

Re: Three RB951Ui-2nD hAP dead in a week with LTE modem in USB

Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:35 am

This is a stab in the dark, but I guess the USB modem might be pulling too much power. Consider using a powered USB hub between your Routerboard and the USB modem.

ZZTopper
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:45 am

If I use USB hub with its own power adapter, I won't be able to control modem power. That's the stumbling stone.
I should be able to reset usb power remotely or by using netwatch.

ViGilant
just joined

Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:35 pm

Have similar problem... Got 3 HaP mikrotiks, use it with USB 3G Huawei E173/E1550. Two modems are dead in 2-3 days, now after about a month one router turned #5 led red and there's no USB port but modem seems to be working (led blinking when plug it in usb charger).

Also have 4 (four!) mikrotiks 951U with same modems working for years, literally.. Upset. I think smth is wrong with this cheap HaPs.

misant
just joined

Mon May 16, 2016 10:34 am

Similar problem with hEX PoR lite (RB750UP2)
One worked for ten days with Huawey 3533. One day it just came dead - both usb port and usb modem. As it was described - very hot near usb.

I bought second one, and after another ten days working fine with ZTE MF112 it happened again! When I configured second RB, I checked, it was not even warm after hours of 3g connected routing.

Dear Mikrotik team, could you please do something with that.

kristaps
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 16, 2016 5:04 pm

Hello, We have found cause of this issue, please please return them to your sellers they will take care of this issue.

Only RB951Ui-2nD hAP when used with hi powered usb device like lte modems could cause this issue.

misant
just joined

Mon May 16, 2016 5:34 pm

Only RB951Ui-2nD hAP when used with hi powered usb device like lte modems could cause this issue.
Are you sure hEX PoE lite is not concerned that issue? Could you please double check that, because I am totally sure - I bought 2 devices from 2 different seller and got same result with different USB modems.

ViGilant
just joined

Mon May 16, 2016 6:21 pm

Hello, We have found cause of this issue, please please return them to your sellers they will take care of this issue.

One of my hAPs killed its usb and third 3G modem, I brought it back to the seller, replacement confirmed. But I have another two hAPs witch killed two or three (don't remeber) 3g modems. Now both work for about a month without any problems but... Can I take them to the seller too, pay extra money and get usual 951s?

kristaps
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 17, 2016 5:44 pm

@misant we checked and Hex poe lite have same usb output as RB951Ui-2nD hAP,

Please return them to your seller.

@ViGilant You need consult with them on their policy

Frozer

Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:31 pm

Dear support. When you finally got the engineers to develop a home (office) router with sufficient voltage power of USB port? So far I have found only RB411 series, but it is not home router (((Even cheap Zyxel Kennetic 4G has no USB power problems. It is a shame!!! I could sell them tons, along with antennas and modems, but is forced to offer Zyxel for customers (