Community discussions

MikroTik App

Matta
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

PtP - but with middle point (4x LHG-5 or something else ?)

Tue May 03, 2016 10:05 pm

Currently I have link with 2 x SXTG 2HnD between Point A and Point B and I'm not satisfied (see attached picture).
Although devices show connection 48Mbit/104Mbit, real throughput is roughly 6Mbits (tx/rx signals are -75/-69).
I asume that the problem are treetops, with great foliage at the moment. Distance is approximately 800 meters, no obstacles apart from trees I mentioned. Cutting trees down is not possible, since they are not on my land.
Or maybe I expect too much out of SXTs ?

I may have a solution with middle point (again, see the picture attached):
There is LoS from both Point A (app. 700 meters) and Point B (app. 200 meters).

I was thinking of buying 4x LHG-5 and setting them up in following way:
- Point A: LHG-5 toward middle point
- Middlepoint: 2x LHG-5 connected with ethernet cable, aiming toward Point A and Point B
- Point B: LHG-5 toward middle point

Is this solution viable ? Will it work properly the way I described ?
Should I continue with LHG-5 or invest more (a lot more!) and get Dynadishes or QRTs ?
Is there any other viable solution ?

Connection is backbone between my two properties and it should be solid and permanent solution. Through it goes internet connection (2x 25/2Mbit VDSL connection, load balanced) and light network traffic.

Thanks for all advices !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: PtP - but with middle point (4x LHG-5 or something else ?)

Tue May 03, 2016 10:52 pm

You could try higher gain antennas like PowerBeam M2-400 or AirGrid M2-HP-20.The link would have 20dbi more signal. Also a higher pipe.
Your idea is also good. LHG-5 is more than enough if the points are visible. You can use it on the long link and reuse SXT's for the short link. Using 2.4 and 5Ghz links will help avoid self interference

Matta
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed May 04, 2016 9:19 am

You could try higher gain antennas like PowerBeam M2-400 or AirGrid M2-HP-20.The link would have 20dbi more signal. Also a higher pipe.
Your idea is also good. LHG-5 is more than enough if the points are visible. You can use it on the long link and reuse SXT's for the short link. Using 2.4 and 5Ghz links will help avoid self interference

Do you think I would have better signal if I go with something else (better) than SXTs (also 2.4GHz??), from Point A to Point B ?
If I could, I would rather skip middle point.

Thanks

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 04, 2016 7:43 pm

I've already said that.