Community discussions

MikroTik App

bcsteeve
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Multiple revisions per model number?

Sat May 14, 2016 1:02 am

I found a very good deal on a used RB2011UiAS-IN... what I'm wondering is if there have been multiple revisions or anything I should be aware of where I might be buying hardware with, for example, obscolete firmware that I'm not able to upgrade. Or, as another example, would there be any case where an older unit has 64MB RAM instead of 128MB or something like that? Or does Mikrotik use a different model number with different revisions?

Thank you.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Multiple revisions per model number?

Mon May 16, 2016 9:22 pm

I am not aware of any revisions to any routerboard model except RB850Gx2.
This was mentioned explicitly on MikroTik's newsletter no. 66.
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... celeration
RB850Gx2 with Hardware Encryption Acceleration
The RB850Gx2 devices are now shipped with a CPU that features Hardware Encryption Acceleration (serial numbers that
start with “5”
). Combined with up to date RouterOS version (6.28 or above), you will now be able to reach 500Mbps with
AES128 encryption on this device.
I don't recall any similar revision on any RB2011 model (or any other for that matter). I could be wrong though.
Usually MikroTik will release any hardware changes (ie: extra ports or something) as a different model altogether.

Regarding the firmware you will definitely be able to upgrade to the latest version available. It's fully supported.

Regarding the RAM, I've only seen the opposite on one occasion. I got 2 SEXTANTs from the same reseller at the same time, and one had 32MB ram (as mentioned in the device's specs) and the other had 64MB (which was of course a welcome surprise/gift!).

In the RB2011 series only the 'L' models have 64MB ram. All others have 128MB ram.

You should check http://routerboard.com to find all the details/specs of each RouterBoard model.

bcsteeve
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon May 16, 2016 9:33 pm

Thanks! That's the way it should be. Either a different model number or the revision number built right into the model number.

Netgear is an example of what not to do. You buy a WNDR3700 or whatever and its a complete crap-shoot on what you get. They range from 8 to 128MB Ram and 16 to 128 flash... some NAND, some not, most undocumented... different CPU depending on the day of the week. Ridiculous.

Good to hear MikroTik understands the importance of letting their customers know what they're actually getting.

vortex
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 16, 2016 10:52 pm

2011 was silently revised.

bcsteeve
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon May 16, 2016 11:28 pm

Err... what's that mean? That seems to me to suggest they ARE doing what netgear does, but worse (ie. change hardware, keep same model, AND not issue a revision number). Ie. exact opposite of what Cha0s said. ???

vortex
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 17, 2016 1:48 am

I have the original RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN with 64MB flash and no external power connector.

bcsteeve
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue May 17, 2016 5:37 am

Yikes.

Well, I ordered the used unit before reading your response. I guess I'll just see what I get.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue May 17, 2016 9:47 am

vortex should have mentioned, that original RB2011 came without removable PSU and smaller NAND storage. Later revisions added power connector and same or larger NAND.

bcsteeve
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue May 17, 2016 10:16 am

That is what vortex mentioned, no? What's the difference between what Vortex said and what you just said?

I believe every hardware manufacturer - at least with electronics that have end-user upgradeable firmware - should produce a single model number for any given configuration. Add more ram? Change the model number. Change a CPU? Change the model number. People need to know what they're buying, regardless of if they buy it new from fresh stock or new from stale stock or used from 10 years ago... model number = specs.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue May 17, 2016 10:25 am

That is what vortex mentioned, no? What's the difference between what Vortex said and what you just said?

I believe every hardware manufacturer - at least with electronics that have end-user upgradeable firmware - should produce a single model number for any given configuration. Add more ram? Change the model number. Change a CPU? Change the model number. People need to know what they're buying, regardless of if they buy it new from fresh stock or new from stale stock or used from 10 years ago... model number = specs.
That is not possible, because FCC/CE certificates will become invalid, even if the change does not affect radio. Certificate is assigned to model number. Change PSU, change model number - no more certification.

bcsteeve
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue May 17, 2016 10:36 am

And now I learn something. I don't like it, but it is what it is. Thanks for the explanation.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 17, 2016 11:29 am

Maybe there can be another distinguisher not called model number but for example version or revision?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re:

Tue May 17, 2016 1:05 pm

Maybe there can be another distinguisher not called model number but for example version or revision?
New products already have this

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 18, 2016 8:34 am

So we shouldn't read those complaints here because all models should have it,right?

juliokato
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Re:

Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:38 pm

where it is indicated on the product?

Iook this post:

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... e5#p549638
New products already have this