Community discussions

MikroTik App

MikroDik69
just joined
Topic Author

wAP ac vs Unifi AC Pro / Lite

Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:55 am

Anyone here have the new wAP ac and UAP AC Pro? How do they compare? Is the wAP ac more like the UAP-AC-Lite?
In terms of range and speeds. Been using the UAPs for a while, but the price of the wAP ACs are really good.

AlexLite
just joined

Re: wAP ac vs Unifi AC Pro / Lite

Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:12 pm

i am very interested in this question as well...
need an AP to pair with my new RB3011 and these 2 seem to be the contenders
the hap ac lite does not seem to offer enough coverage/performance for the whole house so hopefully someone can provide some feedback on the two options above

cheers

Shadeofspirit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:10 pm

Anyone here have the new wAP ac and UAP AC Pro? How do they compare? Is the wAP ac more like the UAP-AC-Lite?
In terms of range and speeds. Been using the UAPs for a while, but the price of the wAP ACs are really good.
i think that wap ac is more like uap-ac-lite (but in weatherproof enclosure). the coverage of uap-ac-lite is less than uap. if you have uap and want to replace them by uap-ac-pro you should remember that they have different POE standart
i am very interested in this question as well...
need an AP to pair with my new RB3011 and these 2 seem to be the contenders
the hap ac lite does not seem to offer enough coverage/performance for the whole house so hopefully someone can provide some feedback on the two options above

cheers
don't forget that wifi is dual side conversation. i mean that you can have very powerful access point but you will not have a good net on your device if does't have powerful wifi adapter. in some situation it is more correct to have 2-3 not very powerful wifi access point than one with strong antenna. For example i have hap ac lite (where are more devices and where devices work with 5ghz wifi) in one room and cap lite in other side of the flat

AlexLite
just joined

Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:32 pm

i never had much luck with the roaming between lower powered devices... i probably did not manage to get the configuration working quite right

i would consider going down the route of multiple lower powered ap's but quite afraid of the roaming bit. the only high throughput 5ghz device i have is my laptop anywya, i could get a separate 5ghz ap as well, maybe

not sure what to do really, so many options, but fairly costly to go down a route that s not ok...

/edit: in regards to roaming, i tried the acl bit, but it seemed to cause more problems than sorting, some household members would complain all the time that they did not have net (i guess the coverage of APs needs to be perfect so they can reconnect) and i have some lower power embeded devices that work fine with weak connections that i had to add as exceptions to the acls...

Shadeofspirit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:15 pm

i never had much luck with the roaming between lower powered devices... i probably did not manage to get the configuration working quite right

i would consider going down the route of multiple lower powered ap's but quite afraid of the roaming bit. the only high throughput 5ghz device i have is my laptop anywya, i could get a separate 5ghz ap as well, maybe

not sure what to do really, so many options, but fairly costly to go down a route that s not ok...

/edit: in regards to roaming, i tried the acl bit, but it seemed to cause more problems than sorting, some household members would complain all the time that they did not have net (i guess the coverage of APs needs to be perfect so they can reconnect) and i have some lower power embeded devices that work fine with weak connections that i had to add as exceptions to the acls...
the problem is to create right rules to the particular situation (in wiki and forum there are examples but they are not perfect for every situations). for example: the ordinary example is to accept better then -79dbm, a had a setup with 10 AP in office where were lots of metal in walls and about 50 clients, with rule (-79dbm) there were problems when f.e. 30 users where on one ap and that was not good for lan speed and so on. the decision was to make less power on ap (as a result less interference) and acl "accept better -60dbm"
so, you should spend some time for experiments and measurements (i usually use APscan program on android phone, because phone have less powered wifi)

AlexLite
just joined

Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:36 pm

you are spot on here...

i have a borrowed ac lite currently to play with and in a new position i found for it, i seem to have pretty good whole house 5ghz coverage with a bit spotty 2.4ghz, so supplementing in 2.4 if it gets to be a problem might be the way to go.

also, regarding the acl, i just now realised something, and that might have been the root of all my issues, you do need a few access points spread out for perfect coverage so when you get kicked from one you land on the other... in my case, i think the issues appeared in spots in which both ap's had spotty coverage, so the device would get no usable network in the end. does that sound about right?

thanks for all the advice, it s all making a bit better sense to me now

AlexLite
just joined

Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:00 pm

i guess the question would still be, for the main router at least, if to go with the WAP-AC or with the UAP-AC-Lite
quite a few posts mentioning the wifi capabilities of the ubnt devices compared to mikrotiks.... but most of the posts fairly old, maybe things changed

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:17 pm

Have both the UAP-AC-LR and the wAP ac. The UAP has better throughput, but I have to admit that I have better tweak skills on the Unifi stack. There is not much difference in the way roaming is working (think both platforms work with a RSSI thresshold).

If you prefer a great GUI, Unifi is the way to go. Configuration can be done easily on both platforms.

AlexLite
just joined

Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:28 pm

thank you very much, very useful coming from someone that can actually compare the two.

do you think that the wall penetration and throughput of the uac are meaningful better in day to day use, or just as synthetic benchmarks?

i guess there s the added point if capsman is worth it compared to the nicer uac gui as well

AlexLite
just joined

Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:08 pm

hi guys,

in the end i went with a wap ac. here s what i found so far:
- it covers all the dead sports in my house it seems, great coverage, doesn't look like i'm gonna be needing another ap
- using capsman without local forwarding i seem to get up to 250mbps before the wap hits 100% cpu (ookla speed test)
- using capsman with local forwarding i seem to go up to about 400mbps before the wap hits 100% cpu (also speed test)
- using capsman with local forwarding is very unstable for me, i probably miss-configured something, no idea what, but i seem to loose the 2.4ghz radio a lot, a restart brings it back, but it's very weird and unstable.
- not sure if usign capsman is worht if for me or not. the version that works is limiting the bandwidth, the one i couldn t make work reliably seems to go up to 45-50% of my laptop's connection speed. i assume it wouldn t go any higher anyway even if it was not cpu limited as i m mostly connected at 7-800mbps. is that a fair assumption?
- did not try it in ap mode yet

Not entirely sure if i should keep playing with it, if so what to actually do :P or just use it and be content with how it works :D

cheers