Community discussions

MikroTik App

Artanis
just joined
Topic Author

Please help to choose right OEM board for particular task

Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:48 pm

Hello, guys!

Long story short - I'm working on some project, where I will use a lot (~40 pcs) of small, wifi capable custom made devices, that must be connected to internet. As devices will be installed at clients warehouse, to make this task easier for client and reduce on-site configuration and installation time necessary, I've decided to deliver these devices already preconfigured to particular SSID/password, and ship them to the client together with few Mikrotik accesspoints (also preconfigured to mentioned SSID, of course).

So - the idea is that client's IT guy just installs these accesspoints in multiple places in warehouse, connect them to DHCP enabled network, and all 40 wifi devices will connect to server through these accesspoints.

My questions that I'd like to hear expert's opinion on -
  • Is this practice viable from hardware point of view (considering that inside warehouse there shouldn't be any noticable already existing wifi frequency bandwidth usage) - will entry level Mikrotik APs be capable of reliable 40+ connections (very little actual traffic, only occasional small packets sent to/from server to all devices)?
  • Is this practice can be considered overall acceptable - to ship devices pre-configured in previously mentioned way, to reduce on-site installation time and configuration necessary?
  • Does Mikrotik RouterOS has some kind of API or other possible way to give client's administrator basic ability to, for example, enter manual IP/gateway for the accesspoint, instead of DHCP, but not allow him to change other configuration parameters of the router? In perfect scenario I'd imagine something like custom local web landing page where admin can login using pre-confiured username/password, and be able to change only accesspoint's IP/subnet/gateway, but nothing else.
  • Which would be most cost effective and suitable Mikrotik OEM prouct for this mentioned task (40+ wifi clients with little bandwidth, stable operation, oem open board that can be placed in custom enclousure)?

All feedback welcomed. Thanks in advance!

Artanis
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Please help to choose right OEM board for particular task

Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:55 pm

Bump. Anybody?

tr00g33k
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:44 pm

I can answer on your question about limited editing for cutomer, you can create web skin, and add only the options that you want that the client can configure. Other it is not possible to answer because it depends on a lot of things. You can access into skin designer through web interface, and you choose design skin, than all it takes, it is some time that you create the skin that you want for your customer.

Artanis
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:39 pm

Oh my god - thank you so much - I didn't even had a clue that RouterOS actually already has feature like this built in! It's incredibly cool - I will play around with it, and will get back if I'll have additional questions. So far it seems exactly what I needed!

Thanks again for pointing this out for me!