Community discussions

MikroTik App

WannaBeOCer
just joined
Topic Author

Need help picking hardware for a mesh network

Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:03 am

I was using an expensive Asus router for a year but it couldn't cover my house due to the walls I believe. The house is only 1,074 sqft, I picked up Eero three pack and it does cover the entire house but for $500 it seems a bit expensive.

I was looking at the maybe using 1 Hap AC as a router and 3 Hap AC Lite in each room?

lmns

Re: Need help picking hardware for a mesh network

Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:40 am

Meshes cut you bandwidth in half with each hop. PowerLAN with some MikroTiks as access point may be a better solution.

project25
just joined

Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:05 am

I'd build a DAS with the AC lite's using a router of ones choosing for the head. RF Elements makes a nice little ceiling enclosure to put the hap inside of (run the cat5 in the attic and limit the wall penetrations for network drops if applicable). Use something like a Wifi-Texas PoE injector Netonix WISP Switch for PoE if not interested in a 750P for a router.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:21 am

Gotta love that marketing... I am getting asked about mesh all the time now. I keep explaining the 1/2 throughput... all they hear???
"4 bars everywhere"

project25
just joined

Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:33 am

I'd build a DAS with the AC lite's using a router of ones choosing for the head. RF Elements makes a nice little ceiling enclosure to put the hap inside of (run the cat5 in the attic and limit the wall penetrations for network drops if applicable). Use something like a Wifi-Texas PoE injector Netonix WISP Switch for PoE if not interested in a 750P for a router.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmv
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:57 pm

I was looking at the maybe using 1 Hap AC as a router and 3 Hap AC Lite in each room?
It can work. And You can get reasonable (for repeater) performance if wireless link between mesh nodes (Hap AC) is perfect.
But 2 dBi antenna in hAP ac not look good for perfect long range (relative) links.

Try with 2 hAP ac for start. It cheap enough.
You always can add PowerLine or other wired link.
Last edited by mmv on Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mmv
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:02 pm

Meshes cut you bandwidth in half with each hop. PowerLAN with some MikroTiks as access point may be a better solution.
Not two times per each hop (8 times for 3 hops). For Single band mesh, in times of number of hops+1 (4 times slower for 3 hops).
Or for Dual band mesh in times of number of hops (3 times for 3 hops).

But some wired solution preferable.