Community discussions

MikroTik App

Zetle
Topic Author

hAP destroing 3G Dongles

Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:01 pm

Hello,
It's my first post, but I'm MIkrotik user for years, and reading the forum very often.

So - My client has a remote villa, which couldn't be reached by any normal kind of ISP, no LAN, no Wireless LOS, no nothing. So i set up a RouterBOARD hAP (RB951Ui-2nD) with 3G USB Dongle.
In first place there was a Alcatel USB, but because it supports only 7.2 mbps and doesn't have a strong antenna reception, we changed it to Huawei E3131 dongle. The Telecom managed to set us a real IP address to the SIM card, and everything was fine until I made a manual "USB Power Reset" about two times in a few minutes. After this the USB Stick disappear from the "ports" and when i touch it, it was smoking hot. Remove it, wait a while and try it on the laptop... It was dead.. I had another one, the same model, set it again, try again the power reset, and there were no problem...
Created a script to check the status of the PPP interface and do a Power Reset for 10 seconds if disconnected. In this set up it worked for some time. In one point of time, the SIM Card defected, according to the Telecom, and have been reissued with new one. I have the unit in my office to test it, and there was a problem related with the routing on the telecom side, nevermind, the PPP interface was down for sometime, and the script made a USB power restarts every 1 hour... In the next morning i see that this USB modem is dead almost like the previous one.
The both modems worked fine before they were plugged in the RB.

So the question is, Do I go wrong somewhere? Is there a reported bug about this USB Power reset function and some kind of surge on the USB, when it comes back on?

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: hAP destroing 3G Dongles

Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:18 pm

Please return hAP to the seller for replacement.

Zetle
Topic Author

Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:59 am

Thank You for the fast response,
Is there a new hardware revision fixing this issue or You suggest that this particular unit is defective?

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:35 am

Yes, there is a new hw revision.

SvZol
just joined

Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:37 pm

Hi!
Yesterday I bought hAP. How do I know whether the bug is fixed or not in my device?

juliokato
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:36 pm

I would also like to know where it is written in the equipment that it has been revised and is not an old stock of equipment.

where it is indicated on the product?

Iook this post:

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... e5#p549638
Hi!
Yesterday I bought hAP. How do I know whether the bug is fixed or not in my device?

SvZol
just joined

Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:34 am

At the moment I tested the 951Ui-2nD with three modems: Huawei E3272, Huawei E3372, ZTE MF831. Problems I did not see and "USB Power Reset" also works fine.
Now the device is mounted on a remote location with Huawei E3272, we'll see how it will. Time will tell.
But I still do not know the HW version and also unknown how to identify HW.

juliokato
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:30 pm