Community discussions

MikroTik App

dlareklami
just joined
Topic Author

What HW should I buy? RB or CRS series?

Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:34 pm

Hello folks!
What HW should I buy for covering my needs? Can't decide between RB or CRS series. I will have 300/300 from my ISP. NOT PPoE. Static IP.
Currently I am using some shitty TPLINK 4 port router and simple switch. I need to hook up my current devices (10) by wire connection. And up to 8 by wireless. Area to cover by wireless is about 180 M2.
I want to try wap AC. I plan to use only AC, not N standard. I think I will need 2 of these devices to cover my needs. But can't decide what should be my primary (main) board. Should it be something like RB3011 or CRS125-24G. By reading this forum and device specification I understand that CRS is just LEVEL 3 switch with routing capabilities, while RB series is pure router boards. Is it so?
Some of my wire devices will not be connected to Internet. For example two NAS stations. I need to achive maximum throughput between them.
What is best solution for home use from your point of view?
Thanks, Dmitrijs

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: What HW should I buy? RB or CRS series?

Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:38 pm

Most of the ethernet routers have also switch chips inside, so you can have wire speed between a few devices, but also have a powerful CPU to handle routing.
The CRS CPU is not powerful.

RB3011 has a good CPU, as does RB1100 and CCR1009. They all have also switch chips for wire-speed switching for a few devices.

lmns

Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:38 pm

Maybe one RB850Gx2 as your router and two wAP AC's as access points and a dedicated "dumb" switch with enough ports? The PPC CPU should be more than fast enough and the device is smaller than an RB3011. You could connect your two NAS's directly to the RB850Gx2 and create a VLAN.

dlareklami
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:17 am

Thanks normis and lmns

I decided that I will go with two Wap AC and RB3011 instead of RB850Gx2. More ports, less hassle for the future expansion ;)