Community discussions

MikroTik App

hatster
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik OLT ?

Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:11 pm

Hi People,

Is there a SFP module that works with CCR so that I can use mikrotik for the headend of a village FTTH project ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

dave864
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Mikrotik OLT ?

Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:50 am

Just Google it. No offence.

I tried coaxial direct copper. This has the SFP+ integrated to the cable. It works perfectly at 10G speeds.

I should think that most if not all SFP/SFP+ modules will work. Although you should be looking at SFP+?

I remember reading a few issues but don't remember the brand. The mikrotik CCR should be perfect for your needs. Low power and highly customisable and importantly cheap. I'm a home user with a CCR 1009 PC. It's really great.

doneware
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:44 pm

Hey,

no, you can't use nothing for the CCR to be an OLT, if you looking for GPON/EPON/GEPON OLT to work with passive splitters.
there are a plenty of low cost vendors out there who can provide GEPON OLTs at affordable prices with multiple GEs as output,
and you can connect your CCR to them and use PPPoE or DHCP for session management.

if you want to use P2P ethernet (a fiber that goes from the CO to each home) you can use normal SFPs, but this is a kind of
router port-wasting approach - unless you use switches to break out "expensive" ports to cheap ones.
on the other hand you can have all your active gear (switches, routers) in the same location. none the less, SFPs still will be
pretty expensive, as you'd need single mode (1000BaseLX/LH or BX) ones.

any other way is about putting active devices between the subscriber homes and central office, and build a tree/ring topology
out of L2 switches, and connect the CCR to it in the CO. this is pretty much the same as the previous one, but you can use copper
for the last meters if it comes to a site with block of flats or similar. and to be honest, this is the only viable way to do it, as your
active boxes (switches) will need power to operate.

and there's still another solution available using passive WDM (CWDM or DWDM) in case you want to deploy something future proof on
an existing fiber infrastructure - this is however way out of the leagues of affordability. DWDM/CWDM SFPs cost 100-200$ each,
and in most cases, your subscribers will hardly need a non-blocking 1Gbps (and upwards) connectivity. indeed if they would, they might not pay
for it the proper price.

until Mikrotik does not release HW with OLT functionality, you can't land any of their gears simply on a passive optical network (with splitters) as
headend.

hatster
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:27 pm

Hey,

no, you can't use nothing for the CCR to be an OLT, if you looking for GPON/EPON/GEPON OLT to work with passive splitters.
there are a plenty of low cost vendors out there who can provide GEPON OLTs at affordable prices with multiple GEs as output,
and you can connect your CCR to them and use PPPoE or DHCP for session management.

if you want to use P2P ethernet (a fiber that goes from the CO to each home) you can use normal SFPs, but this is a kind of
router port-wasting approach - unless you use switches to break out "expensive" ports to cheap ones.
on the other hand you can have all your active gear (switches, routers) in the same location. none the less, SFPs still will be
pretty expensive, as you'd need single mode (1000BaseLX/LH or BX) ones.

any other way is about putting active devices between the subscriber homes and central office, and build a tree/ring topology
out of L2 switches, and connect the CCR to it in the CO. this is pretty much the same as the previous one, but you can use copper
for the last meters if it comes to a site with block of flats or similar. and to be honest, this is the only viable way to do it, as your
active boxes (switches) will need power to operate.

and there's still another solution available using passive WDM (CWDM or DWDM) in case you want to deploy something future proof on
an existing fiber infrastructure - this is however way out of the leagues of affordability. DWDM/CWDM SFPs cost 100-200$ each,
and in most cases, your subscribers will hardly need a non-blocking 1Gbps (and upwards) connectivity. indeed if they would, they might not pay
for it the proper price.

until Mikrotik does not release HW with OLT functionality, you can't land any of their gears simply on a passive optical network (with splitters) as
headend.
Thanks, that pretty much answers my question ! much appreciated ;)

risk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:42 am

... none the less, SFPs still will be
pretty expensive, as you'd need single mode (1000BaseLX/LH or BX) ones...
Not that expensive, how did you do your math in this case?
http://www.fs.com/products/29849.html

doneware
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:04 am

Not that expensive, how did you do your math in this case?
http://www.fs.com/products/29849.html
this is pretty affordable, thx for the info.
again, compared to 100/1000BaseT and cat5 cabling this is still a bit more expensive, esp if you add the FO cables and the last mile patches.
of course copper cabling will not work in rural areas, but only in block of flats
but i must say, i could spend $7 a lot worse than getting an actual 1GBaseLX SFP :-)

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:05 am

Well - today I finally got a Mikrotik (( 2011UiAS-2HnD )) with a Mikrotik GPON SFP talking to my Adtran TA-5000 head end.

You can pretty much forget about using google for help on this topic (Mikrotik GPON to Adtran) --- I found nothing after a month of searching.

What you need to do is configure the head-end for your GPON network to treat the Mikrotik GPON SFP module like a regular GPON bridge device (NOT a residential gateway).

The Mikrotik SFP interface does NOT need a vlan - - Treat the Mikrotik SFP interface with the GPON module inserted just like a regular Ethernet connection.

---
FYI
I still have a lot of work to try and test. I want to get it to pass vlans - and possibly get a SubH (out-of-band-management) working on my Mikrotik.

North Idaho Tom Jones