Community discussions

MikroTik App

intelfx
just joined
Topic Author

wAP ac — antenna pattern & best practices for indoor placement

Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:12 am

Hello,

I'm going to buy a single wAP ac as an upgrade to my existing RB2011 router. I'm living in a ~150 m^2 flat (4 rooms total); there will be at most two walls between the desired AP placement and the clients. I could not find any antenna pattern plots for this device, except that vague "Antenna beam width: 360°" statement in the brochure, so I'm going to ask a few questions here.
  1. Is it adequate for my intended coverage surface (5GHz range is important)? Using multiple devices is not an option, I'd like to get away with a single AP.
  2. How should I mount it (on the ceiling or on a wall, and on which wall) in order to avoid wasting coverage?
    E. g. if it radiates on its back, then I probably should not mount it on the ceiling or on a side wall, because then I'll waste half of the energy radiating towards a neighboring flat.
Rephrasing the last question: should I place the AP vertically (on a pole) or horizontally (lying flat) to have a horizontally omnidirectional radiation pattern?

Thanks in advance.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: wAP ac — antenna pattern & best practices for indoor placement

Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:57 am

Multiple APs is the only option.

intelfx
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:23 pm

If so, then how can I estimate the coverage range of a single AP? (The remaining questions still hold.)

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:52 pm

If so, then how can I estimate the coverage range of a single AP? (The remaining questions still hold.)

do a site survey

every site and every ap are different

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:17 pm

The "coverage" is a myth. You are not spreading anything, you are trying to estimate an area where your clients will be able to clearly distinguish the signal of the AP from the noise and from where they can clearly transmit to the AP back. Multiple clients simultaneusly with different radios and antennas, without any conceptual regulation and alignment in the conditions of obstacles and other unwanted transmitters around. So how anyone can talk about the coverage of AP not taking into account local conditions and the clients?

He can not.

intelfx
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:55 pm

do a site survey

every site and every ap are different
The "coverage" is a myth. You are not spreading anything, you are trying to estimate an area where your clients will be able to clearly distinguish the signal of the AP from the noise and from where they can clearly transmit to the AP back. Multiple clients simultaneusly with different radios and antennas, without any conceptual regulation and alignment in the conditions of obstacles and other unwanted transmitters around. So how anyone can talk about the coverage of AP not taking into account local conditions and the clients?

He can not.
OK, let's forget the coverage. I neither can nor want to do a site survey for a home network. Could you please answer the second question?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:53 am

The wAP radiates 100% spherical, there is no difference how you mount it.

intelfx
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:44 am

The wAP radiates 100% spherical, there is no difference how you mount it.
Understood, thanks.

intelfx
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:35 am

So, I've got that AP and its 5 GHz radio covers the whole flat easily under following conditions:
  • AP being placed on the wall roughly in the center of the flat;
  • 5745/20-Ceee, tx power not limited (that channel is rated for 30 dBm here in Russia);
  • QCA6174, Intel 8260 and iPhone 5s as clients.
Finally, through experimentation I've noticed that things are slightly better if the AP is placed vertically.