Community discussions

MikroTik App

universolo
just joined
Topic Author

Fiber to the Home (FTTH) passive IDS between Mikrotik RB260GS and FTTH modem

Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:25 pm

I would like to set up a passive IDS (Intrusion Detection System) to monitor traffic between my ISP and my FTTH modem. I need assistance and recommendations on how to accomplish this and what equipment I would require. I would like to capture ingress as well as egress traffic. I am thinking buying a Mikrotik RB260GSP switch https://routerboard.com/RB260GSP and connecting it as per below;

Connector Box ==> RB260GSP Switch on Fibre Port ==> Huawei FTTH Modem Fibre Port? Then I can mirror the Fibre port on the RB260GSP Switch to a Ethernet Port on the RB260GSP Switch where I will connect my IDS into? Would this be possible or what would I need to do to accomplish this ? Would I need SFP modules for the Mikrotik RB260GSP switch ? Which modules? Would the one SFP port be sufficient to connect the Connector Box to the RB260GSP Switch and then from the RBS260GSP switch to the FTTH Modem?

I am looking forward to your replies and guidance.

My current setup is as follows;
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

universolo
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Fiber to the Home (FTTH) passive IDS between Mikrotik RB260GS and FTTH modem

Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:29 pm

04.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.