Community discussions

MikroTik App

tommyb
just joined
Topic Author

Hardware request/discussion

Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:19 pm

Hello!

I've contacted Mikrotik a year ago with this subject but didn't received answer yet.
That's why I decided to share my thoughts here...

I am kinda freelancer doing some automatics, programming and network stuff. We sell to many of our clients complete solutions, including networks based on Mikrotik.
Unfortunately among your offer there is no cheap multiport (at least 16-24) switch with basic functionality. It's especially important to our automation systems - one/two WANs and plenty of RJ45-ports is what we want. I really mean simple soluton - even 5port router and 16-24-port unmanaged switch in one chassis would great! And having it in 19" rack chassis would be simply awesome!

Having 5-port Mikrotik and bunch of dummy switches doesn't look, feel and act fine.

Have you ever think of it? Any plans? Or you consider it as a stupid idea?

PS. Have you asked your clients what do they think of touch-screens in your products? All of users I've been talking to are not happy with it claiming it is completely useless and making the products expensive. Especially those ones with LCD on top...

And what's your opinion?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Hardware request/discussion

Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:38 pm

MikroTik does have low cost 24 port switches:
https://routerboard.com/CRS125-24G-1S-IN

tommyb
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:48 pm

Don't get me wrong but... 750+cheap24portswitch is 2-3times cheaper than CRS125. Well... the question is what you consider as 'low cost'.
For me, low cost means that it should be 10-20% more expensive than MT and switch sold separately.
To be precise let say it's $80-120.

veljko
just joined

Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:09 pm

When we can expect new version of RB2011 with 5GHz AC support or RB3011 non-rackmount with 5GHz AC support?
This is a very good router but today we sell internet services on cable with speeds up to 200Mbps but 2.4GHz radio can only provide up to 40Mbps in urban places.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:13 pm

What about hAP ac ?

veljko
just joined

Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:17 pm

Yes I meant on that radio chip :)
hAP ac is little beast but we need 10 ethernet (gigabit port) router with ac WiFi for customers with managed services. We provide managed serices for customers on fiber-optics and COAX with RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN and CRS125-24G-1S-2HnD-IN for customers with 9+ LAN ports and we have big problem because of poor WiFi performance.

tommyb
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:17 pm

And how about my thoughts? normis - you, as a person close to MT - could you tell me more about it? Any plans? Stupid idea?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:21 pm

CRS125 from our distributors can cost as low as 140USD. I think it is a fair price for 24 ports.

I can't comment on unannounced devices or plans.

tommyb
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:46 pm

I guess you're even not trying to understand me - yes, $140 is fair for 24 managed router-switch but it is far too high for 750 and 24 port unmanaged switch in one chassis. And this is quite resonable thinking I believe.

If you can't who is the person responsible for this? Have you ever asked your users what do they want?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:49 pm

Yes, everyone wants the fastest possible device with best features, with minimal price. That is just understandable. I would love to have the same. In all products. But some hardware can't be made cheaper. Either is it physics, or just reasonable pay for the workers.

We are working on exciting new devices which will be even more affordable, but I'm sure you understand, that I can't reveal the specifics here. Please follow our MUM events and announcements.

tommyb
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:10 pm

I'm afraid you don't get what you read. I have never said I want low cost super-duper device. Maybe you read between the lines. But there is nothing there.
I want cheap device with poor performance with poor resources, poorly equipped. I want 750/HAP together with unmanaged switch. Is it so hard to understand? Do I speak chinese?
You've got your (is is really yours?) point of view and do not accept it's not common. It's a pity.
And don't make me attend MUM to share someone my thoughts. It's childish. If you think otherwise please tell me what this forum is for?

Normis, over the net you have reputation of stiffy person. I guess it's true. Maybe it's time to pass my topic to someone else.

Alternatively you still can shut down this topic. During my posts you haven't answer my question so nobody will cry for it.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:15 pm

All switch chips used in mikrotik products are manageable. It does not make sense to build any device with unmanaged switch these days. Just because it does not provide the versatility. If your application is so low leveled that you can use cheapest router with unmanaged switch, do it and stay happy with it. If you want professional solution, it is advisable to use separate switch and router. If the routing power of crs is enough for you, then it is right device even when it has manageable switch. This cannot hurt.