Community discussions

MikroTik App

netadmingr
just joined
Topic Author

layer 3 Switch

Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:50 pm

Hi, i want to change my layer 3 switch and i dont know if the CRS125-24G-1S works for me. I have 100Mbps line and i have a cisco router for routing. I have 200 pcs and is divided in 5 vlans, voip, clients, server, office, other. From my cisco i have 9000 packets/second and I dont have many traffic between vlans. Can this mikrotik handle all the traffic.

mpreissner

Re: layer 3 Switch

Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:07 pm

If you actually use the layer 3 functionality of your current switch, the CRS will likely not hold up as it is effectively a layer 2 switch with minimal layer 3 capability (mostly just for management functionality). If all you need is wire-speed layer 2 in a managed switch, the CRS may work well, and much less expensively. Be warned, though, the CRS currently does not have support for many "standard" switch functions, like LACP, IGMP snooping, DHCP snooping, etc. MikroTik finally just added STP support in the latest ROS v6.38, so if you need spanning tree, be sure to run the latest code.

netadmingr
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:58 pm

Thanks for your reply, ok the CRS is not good for Layer 3 switch, is the CCR Series better to use for Layer3 or is better to use other vendors like cisco?
Thanks

Valexus
just joined

Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:03 pm

Like mentioned before the CRS switches are L2 Switches with terrible L3 performance. The CCR series are great routers but no switches!
Cheapest useable L3 switches in germany are Cisco SG300 or a used catalyst from ebay.

Otherwise you could use a CRS226 in combination with a CCR and route all traffic over the 10G link.
Last edited by Valexus on Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulct

Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:04 pm

Why do you need layer 3 behind the Cisco?

netadmingr
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:07 pm

i have a cisco router for bgp, and i have a layer 3 switch (allied) for my network. I thought to change my allied layer 3(is very old with 100mbit ports) with a mikrotik and do QOS also on mikrotik.
I want the Layer3 to divide my subnets and for security with vlans. For Example protect voip and servers from pc clients. I also have 2 CRS24 as layer2 with vlans and trunks(tagged) connected to allied layer3 switch.
Last edited by netadmingr on Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

djakky
just joined

Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:19 pm

Refer: Network Diagram Setup.

I have made a lab setup in my NOC for testing Redundancy on Mikrotik crs112-8g-4s-in & have been testing since quite a long time.
I have tried every possible config in Mikrotik but unable to make-through the redundancy using the Mikrotik-CRS device.
Note: The latest version of RouterOS is also installed.

Below are the observations:
• All ports of the Mikrotik-CRS go into DESIGNATED role with FORWARDING state. None of them go into Blocking or Alternate modes.
• Even if I change the rstp path-cost, rstp-bridge-priority, edge/non edge config etc there is no effect. The Mikrotik bridge shows as root bridge. The ports still remain in Forwarding designated mode only.

Most Important point to note is that, even if the Root Bridge is the TECH switch (refer attachment) for vlan 3050, the Mikrotik-CRS considers itself as the Root Bridge for all vlans
& hence keeping all its ports in Designated Forwarding mode & not transiting into Blocking or Alternate mode.
kindly find the Image file for reference.
Please help so that my core router can become the root bridge in my network & not the Mikrotik-CRS.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

netadmingr
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:11 pm

@djakky - Your core router is mikrotik??

To my problem, my core router that i have BGP is a cisco 3750G Layer 3 switch, is better to use this for layer 3 and buy one CCR for BGP?
I have one peer and my ISP sends me only default route. Is CCR stable for BGP?
What i wanted was to change all with mikrotik.
Thanks.

djakky
just joined

Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:10 pm

hello netadmingr,

My all my routers are Cisco Catalyst 3750 (in my testing environment). However in our live Backbone network we use Cisco Catalyst 7609.
So all are Cisco 3750 presently & i have set their priority as lowest (4096) compared to Mikrotik-CRS (8000hex = 32768) so that the core router becomes the root bridge.
But my core router is the root bridge & also the Mikrotik shows as root, leading to all ports to in DESIGNATED FORWARDING state. (not a loop free topology).
Note: All are connected by fiber patch-cords.

However in your case, CCR is good for routing purposes, rather then CRS...which is good for switching. Being which i'm still stuck here on STP !!!!!
Provide me a solution if you have :)

Thank you

netadmingr
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:38 pm

I dont know how mikrotik works with STP, make your Core Router Root Bridge with:
conf t
spanning-tree vlan 3050 root primary
spanning-tree vlan 160 root primary