Community discussions

MikroTik App

snoop
just joined
Topic Author

MIKROTIK AS ONT

Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:43 pm

Hi
I recently got an idea, which involves removing the ONT I-240W-A Alcatel that my Telmex ISP provided me to my house. I bought a RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN, the idea is using Mikrotik as ONT.
Is this possible? Do I need a special configuration?
I have SFP Fiberstore-FE-BX 100BASE 1550/1310 T1612230001 with SC connector whitout connectivity.

docmarius
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: MIKROTIK AS ONT

Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:00 am

Most of the MT devices featuring a SFP port support 1.25 Gbps only (1.25G/10G on some SFP+ ports).
AFAIK the only exception are the new CCR1009-7G-1C revisions.
Since your SFP module is 100Base, it won't work with your RB2011 and is a hardware limitation which can not be solved by configuration.
On the other hand, since your provider requires an ONT, are you sure that the SFP module you have is the right one?
Don't you need a GPON module?

virtman

Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:14 pm

Hi,

Instead of a full replace of your ONT hardware, try to put it in BRIDGE mode. Then bridge it to your Mikrotik. If all of your ONT servercices are standard (PPPoE, IPoE, etc.) then you can run it on your Mikrotik. It's like to use a xDSL hardware as a "modem" instead of a "router".

Take into account that ONT has a very complex management over the xPON network. Then it's very complex to replace a ONT with a router. It's not equal to a simple L1 medium access. So, the best solution it's put it in simple Bridge mode.

I hope this help.

snoop
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:21 pm

Most of the MT devices featuring a SFP port support 1.25 Gbps only (1.25G/10G on some SFP+ ports).
AFAIK the only exception are the new CCR1009-7G-1C revisions.
Since your SFP module is 100Base, it won't work with your RB2011 and is a hardware limitation which can not be solved by configuration.
On the other hand, since your provider requires an ONT, are you sure that the SFP module you have is the right one?
Don't you need a GPON module?

My ISP works only with SC conectors and I thinked that SFP SC of Fiberstore perhaps works fine in my router Mikrotik but doesnt fine. I was in courses of Mikrotik and the professor to talk me of SFP of the others companies.

I dont know about the GPON Modules, it's fine for my problem?

sfp.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by snoop on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snoop
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:43 pm

Hi,

Instead of a full replace of your ONT hardware, try to put it in BRIDGE mode. Then bridge it to your Mikrotik. If all of your ONT servercices are standard (PPPoE, IPoE, etc.) then you can run it on your Mikrotik. It's like to use a xDSL hardware as a "modem" instead of a "router".

Take into account that ONT has a very complex management over the xPON network. Then it's very complex to replace a ONT with a router. It's not equal to a simple L1 medium access. So, the best solution it's put it in simple Bridge mode.

I hope this help.

Yeah, in fact, is like I use in this moment, the ONT connected to Mikrotik for UTP Internet entry, but I wish removing the ONT of my ISP. So, you says to me that router Mikrotik dont would to be like ONT?

virtman

Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:36 am

Hi,

I hope this help.

Yeah, in fact, is like I use in this moment, the ONT connected to Mikrotik for UTP Internet entry, but I wish removing the ONT of my ISP. So, you says to me that router Mikrotik dont would to be like ONT?
Hi,

I need to repeat that ONTs are more than a simple Layer1 (Transport) interface. So, it's not only a link path... the xPON network has a very complex management. Then, the operator needs to control the ONT. Wihtout this control is impossible to have a reliable xPON network. In this scenario, the bridge mode is the most simple and reliable option. In this case you can control all Layer2 (IP) stuff. You don't lose any functionality in this mode. Futhermore, not all ISP like to leave open the bridge mode in the ONT. So, if your ISP has this option enabled, you're lucky... you can use RouterOS as your router/firewall with full IP control. The other option is a half-bridge, with only control as Layer3 (TCP/UDP). This is the worst scenario that I don't recommend (dual NAT plus DMZ). But this a common scenario with several ISPs that enforces to use his ONT also for IP (without bridge mode).

So, you have the best environment! ;)