MikroTik App

DBob
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

mAP lite failures

Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:33 pm

Hi all,

I've just received my shiney new mAP lite, however I've got serious problems with it.
For example, it's bricked out of the box.

When I apply power (USB or PoE), the power, AP and Ethernet LEDs are lit instantly. And that's it. Ethernet cable not required to have an on state Ethernet LED. The WLAN LED is turned off, no matter what. And there is no Wi-Fi signal as well.

I've tried to reset, no affect. The only thing this mAP lite does, is turning on three of the four LEDs, and that's about it.

Is there anything, which I can do to make this one work, or the only thing is left to do is RMA?

Thanks

Quared
Trainer
Trainer

Re: mAP lite failures

Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:14 am

Hello,

you've tried to connect via ethernet port, right ?

By default, there's a NAT-rule configured on ethernet port, so just try to connect to your mAP via WiFi.
Therefore check for a WiFi network labelled Mikrotik ....... (the dots usually representing last MAC-address-digits)

This behaviour is 'by design', not a failure :D

greets

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:19 am

If that indeed is the issue ... yes, all the MikroTik devices with only one port, are meant to connect to the internet via cable, and provide access via WiFi. You can reconfigure it otherwise once you have connected.

DBob
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:15 pm

Hi there,
you've tried to connect via ethernet port, right ?
Hmm...
Have you even read my post?
Maybe I wasn't very clear about my problem. Let me try again.
"When I apply power (USB or PoE), the power, AP and Ethernet LEDs are lit instantly. And that's it. Ethernet cable not required to have an on state Ethernet LED. The WLAN LED is turned off, no matter what. And there is no Wi-Fi signal as well."
After the mAP lite received power supply, the Power, the AP and the Ethernet LEDs are ON, until I turn of the the power supply. No further activity. No Wi-Fi signal as well, so I cannot connect to the unit via Wi-Fi, and there is no MikroTik-* SSID as well. The mAP lite won't boot.
Here's a picture of the situation:

Again, note, that there is no Ethernet cable connected to the unit, and the Ethernet LED is lit as well. And this state remains over 12 hours (tested).

I've got an another one of this mAP lite. When I apply power to the unit, the same conditions are met as with the faulty unit, for about 1 seconds. Then all the AP and and Eth LED turns off, only the Power LED remains lit and after approx. 10-15 seconds, the Wi-Fi LED turns ON, and the unit can be accessed via Wi-Fi.

So, based only my assumption, when initially three of the four LEDs are lit, that's the self-test phase of the mAP lite, which fails. That's why the faulty unit stops there, meanwhile the working one continue to successful boot eventually.

freemannnn
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:29 pm

try NETINSTALL or RMA it

DBob
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:31 pm

try NETINSTALL or RMA it
Netinstall won't work, as the reset button is not functioning at all.
I guess, the state machine after power on hasn't reached the state, when you could reset the unit, or if you press the reset button longer push into Netinstall stage.

So far, my only option is RMA. :?

DBob
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:37 pm

Problem has been solved; I've received just now the replacement from the local distributor (wireless-bolt.hu).

ZschimmerIT

Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:17 pm

Same issue here.
Mine is rebooting every 10 seconds but not booting in any useful state.
Can't reset to netinstall :(
So RMA

spyglass
just joined

Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:07 am

we got the same issue too, its like a faulty hardware or what, we provide many maplite(s) for our wireless telephone project as our alternative setup, coz maplite is very handy,

Artanis
just joined

Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:46 pm

Same here. I'm so f***ing angry - TWO mAP Lite's died in two weeks exactly month after the end of 1 year warranty! Both of them just suddenly started rebooting every 30 seconds. Tried factory reset, tried swapping power supplies - nothing helps.

I don't know what's happening to the quality assurance at the Mikrotik recently, but in the last year I have read in different forums from many people who have encountered dying Mikrotik hardware (especially often it's mAP units, that are very popular in small offices and home). I was a huge fan of Mikrotik products for many years - installed them in all our projects, as well as suggested them to others, but now I'm really reluctant about purchasing anything from them again, as it seems that there are real problems with quality.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:14 am

One year? In EU the warranty should be 2 years. Check with your store.

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:59 pm

2 years is guaranteed for consumers. It does not apply if you buy it as a company.

crazyeva
just joined

Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:51 am

Exactly the same as you described, but Netinstall worked. Thank goodness.