MikroTik App

Maggiore81
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

RB with 2x SFP+ and redundant PSU

Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:39 pm

Any hints?
why CCR1036 doesnt have the double PSU ?
I have seen the release of CCR1036 with 2x SFP+. Just a single PSU, why?
I think that a high end router should have at least a double PSU.

hearing from you soon.

SystemErrorMessage

Re: RB with 2x SFP+ and redundant PSU

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:34 pm

While i am not a staff mikrotik the CCR1072 should have redundant PSU and more SFP+ ports. Have you also checked the CCR1016?

The older CCR1036 has 2 PSU connections and came with a PSU that really sucks. What you can do is get 2x 5A 20V or 24V PSU bricks, 2 adapters and some wiring. You may be able to fit the bricks into the CCR but to get the power cable in for both wont be possible without making new holes. If you dont mind the power bricks on the outside and a hole to pass DC cables through it will work. You should also not remove the black pad under the old PSU and make sure to attach your DC connector adapters to it to prevent a short circuit from the metal case on the inside.

For me i just use glue and tape to stick the DC connector adapter down and make sure not to hold the router without the power bricks as well. All i needed for this was some glue, tape and soldering iron. For a second adapter you will need the wires and the plastic connector they use (make sure to ask mikrotik support for the type of connector used).

Mikrotik's design of the CCR isnt entirely great that i made it much better though modifications. Mine now has good cooling and is very silent(even more silent than ubiquiti ERPRO at loads) and a more reliable PSU that USB power works now (before attaching a raspberry pi 2 to it would freeze within a few hours). When you replace the thermal paste DO NOT sand heatsink. If you can find a long copper heatsink that fits it will likely cool better too.

I heard the Newer CCR1036s has only 1 power connector on the board. You may be able to add a 2nd one manually with some soldering skills if the traces are still there.

patrick7

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:37 pm

CCR1016 does not have 2x SFP+. It has SFP+ and SFP. CCR1072 is the only one which has two of both SFP+ and PSU :-)

Maggiore81
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:14 pm

and that is a Shame.
The only CCR with double PSU is the 1009.

The question is... What if I use a single SFP+ with DAC onto a 10G switch... I will use two VLANs... but the performances wont be actually 10g...

patrick7

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:28 pm

No, the CCR1016 does also have dual PSU, but only one SFP+ :-)
CCR1009 is the same, one SFP+, one SFP, dual PSU.

SystemErrorMessage

Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:36 pm

you could still get a CCR1036 and mod it like what i did. It doesnt cost much to modify it either. All you need are 2 brick PSUs and the right components and a decent soldering iron and usual house hold items.

If there is a CCR1016 with dual PSU you can use that if you can make do with 1 SFP+ i guess. It is very dependent on how you need to support 10Gb/s.

you should write to sales and ask for a CCR1036 with 2 PSU inputs on the board.