Community discussions

MikroTik App

Bomber67
Topic Author

Does ROS support MiniPCI-to-USB modules?

Thu May 22, 2008 9:02 am

Just came across this one, which would solve my immediate need for USB support on the modern Routerboards, whle waiting for onboard USB support:
http://www.aaeon.com/PD_Products_Detail ... utf-8.html
(I know I must add 5V to it)

Will this work on RBs with ROS, or do you MT guys need to do something?

QpoX

Re: Does ROS support MiniPCI-to-USB modules?

Thu May 22, 2008 9:04 pm

So you found my link :)
I was also looking for a USB port solution on the RouterBoards (RB333+RB433).
But i think there is need for a driver (ROS is strip'd for what there is no need for)...

The best thing is to buy it... make support.rif and they can find/make a driver for ROS...

Bomber67
Topic Author

Fri May 23, 2008 8:15 am

So you found my link :)
Actually I found changeip's link, but that was after googling up the device myself.
Now I found your link as well.
I was also looking for a USB port solution on the RouterBoards (RB333+RB433).
But i think there is need for a driver (ROS is strip'd for what there is no need for)...

The best thing is to buy it... make support.rif and they can find/make a driver for ROS...
Yes, I think I'll go for that, thank you!

Wouldn't it be nifty if Mikrotik could add 5V outlet on their boards? Know this is a cost issue, but then running boards like this would be easy.

QpoX

Fri May 23, 2008 10:57 am

If you use PoE you can split it before the RouterBoard and use a regulator IC called "7805" it can make 12-18V to 5V...
(It may need a heatsink)...

Bomber67
Topic Author

Fri May 23, 2008 12:21 pm

Sweet!

QpoX

Sat May 24, 2008 11:22 pm

Or use the Fan connector... *maybe a bad idear*

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 25, 2008 5:04 am

for many usb devices you dont even need the 5v.

routerboard packages dont include the drivers, so they dont work. that card is standard NEC usb chip, but its not enabled in kernel. would be nice to have a package that would allow it. would be a nice way to get these cell phone cards working.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon May 26, 2008 10:41 am

you should look if the card requires the 5V from the mini-pci connector. The current RouterBoards doesn't supply 5V to the mini-pci and that is why the card might not work. If it doesn't require and the driver for this chip is not so complex then maybe we can add support, but we will need that device.

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 26, 2008 7:49 pm

I dont believe it needs the 5v to load up. I inserted the card into a rb532 and it showed up under the system resources, just didn't have a driver for it. I believe the 5v is per USB spec, 5v and 100ma per port. Externally powered devices should work okay i believe - or using a usb power injector - or using a 7805 from your main supply.

Wouldn't using the same usb drivers (ported of course) for the i386 work on rb series ? Maybe the footprint is too large for all of them... I could send you my card if you would return it someday.

Sam

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 am

if you can plug this card in a router where it is showing up in the resources, then make the support output file and send it to support@mikrotik.com we will look if it is easy to add a driver for it.

sarpkaya
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed May 28, 2008 9:59 pm

why don't you use mini-itx pc?

csickles
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 29, 2008 2:09 am

So...

Lets assume we can get USB in a 433 series...

That means we can get T1 and T3 in a 433.....

Hmmmmmmm......

QpoX

Thu May 29, 2008 2:45 am

So...
Hmmmmmmm......
A USB port can solve alot of problems and make alot of new solutions!
The RB230 is not that great for alot of solutions...

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri May 30, 2008 12:39 pm

So...

Hmmmmmmm......
Are there T1 and T3 card with USB?
We don't know if we will be able to add support for USB T1 or T3 as the driver might be a lot different than regular one.
For now we are waiting for the support output file for this mini-pci usb device when it is plugged inside the board.

csickles
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 30, 2008 4:58 pm

I showed ont to John at the MUM in chicago.

I am waiting for the driver from the MFG.
They have commited to releasing a open driver to me to send to MikroTik to add the device to RouterOS.
I will send it ASAP...

I will send a board for you to work with as soon as I get the driver.

mbethers
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:05 am

Any updates. I'm in for any nre costs that may be needed to move this along if it will help.

csickles
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:24 am

I have a board here..

It uses a daughter-board configuration..
The "base" board is a PCI to USB adapter (NEC based).
The Attic board is a T1 interface with a USB system interface..

The creater didn't seem to realize what they had come up with...

With the correct drivers and system integration we will have hot pluggable T1 and T3 interfaces soon...

I am still waiting for the driver to be made available so I can FedEx the whole thing to the boys...

I have access to an inexpensive PCI and PCIE based T1 (single dual and quad) ... (IN PRODUCTION UNITS)
I have drivers fro that one and the MFG is 1/4 mile away, so support issues should be easy to solve...
I just need the drivers included into RouterOS.. (Hint Hint Pester, Pester...) :lol:

Also along the USB front.. with this card, (the mini PCI to USB) we can add bridge devices for SATA storage for CALEA/Proxy data (I know CF...) but try and come up with a mirroring 120GB CF solution.. I dare you...
I have scrounged up a 3.5" device that mirrors two 2.5" SATA devices and treats them as one 3.5" sata device.
It provides for mirroring or striping and hot plug SATA storage and has a 3.5" form factor...

csickles
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:02 am

Of course I cant put words or "features" in their "mouth", but proving that the hardware is available and "workable" makes implimentation easyer.

I would never ask someone to write code to put a man in orbit, if I didnt know there was a rocket and a computer to do it with...

I have had conversations with "the boys" before and they have said that features are based on need / demand and feasability IE cost.. "If hardware exists that can fill a need, then use it". re-invention of the wheel is not nessisary.

I go by, can existing methods be used? , or is there hardware that can be "made to work"? if so then present the idea and see if the demand and software implimentations costs "work out"..

I dont bo by " I want XXXX " without looking for a solution to meet them half way...

ghmorris
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:10 am

Which makes you a wise man. There are quite a number of features I would like to see in RouterOS that would make our lives easier, but I would never try to dilute the basic brand.

Note that most of those who want a radical departure from the traditional MT values have not been on the forum for long. A logical assumption would be that they do not have particularly big MT networks, and have little to lose if MT goes off at a tangent.

For those of us that have been here for a while and have a lot of time and money invested; its really important that MT stays somewhat conservative and looks after our core values, whilst still being creative and continuing to rule the wireless world.

George

csickles
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:41 am

My objectives are ALLWAYS twards the "Core" A networking router / firewall...

There are times that some hardware is needed IE T1 cards for the "data center users"..

I CANNOT place a MikroTik router in a clients data center if it requires an external router to convert the media from Ts to Ethernet... (yes I know "converters") but they still say.. "What you cant terminate the WAN ??? "

I work for a large computer reseller and I have 60 full time sales people.. my biggest herdle remanes an EASY product "Kits" for the smaller devices and for the larger deployments, I NEED Ts...

I will probably look at using the PowerRouters for the near term.

My sales staff sell BOAT LOADS of the "C-Word" gear.. in the 7 figures (At least)

I would MUCH rather recomend MikroTik where it is a better fit... but often dont have the time to hand hold the sales rep to get the nessisary equipment specked out as my sales team is NOT as familiar with MikroTik as they are with just about EVERY other brand out there...

Education and the "finishing" touches to some hardware / software needs is the herdle I need to get over...

The CALEA package needs polishing (out of band data etc) and the higher end systems need some WAN enhancements
As well as some of the mid end would benifit from the same..

VERY FEW data centers and "Enterprise clients" use wireless at the EDGE.. they want redundant and bount Ts and T3 connections as well as fibre hand offs...

This is the market I can reach best, as it the client base my sales staff has boult over the 20+ years...

This is why I tend to push for the data center centered enhancements... I dont run much of a WISP (I use wireless a lot at work and all the Execs use RouterBoards at home.) but my client base is "corporate America" and that is who I need to cater to...

ghmorris
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:14 pm

No argument from me. I like data centre features too. All the work that has been done on VRRP, MPLS/VPLS, plus stability improvements to OSPF are all high on my list, we need all of it as we get bigger.

We are also working on a pilot project to bond 5 ADSL channel groups. This will likely roll out to many different sites so MLPPPoE support is critical to us.

I also like advanced wireless features as MT was pretty much founded on being a wireless solution.

I would like to see support for EVDO revA and HSDPA data cards; USB or Xpress card would be fine. Support for the faster mac layer available in 'n' is also welcome.

We do have a fair sized WISP that runs pretty much completely on MT, so maintaining and developing the core wireless/router feature set is important to us.

George

miahac
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:34 pm

I am still confused on the availably of usb wan interfaces. What device do you speak? I agree that wan interfaces are required for data center acceptance, as are hot swap, and high port density enclosures... at full wire speed.

For port density, I suggest that MT could make a routerboard that slides into a high density layer three switch like the hp procurve 4000 series, link up to the switch by logging in with ssh and pretend to be the control interface for the switch. But there is no wan interfaces for that either :(

robrob
just joined

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:59 pm

Any progress on mini-pci USB suport? Why doesn't MT put USB ports on the RBs? It sure would expand the capabilities of these routers.

Bomber67
Topic Author

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:09 pm

Chances are more than fair that the RB433U with USB support will be released at the Prague MUM next week. :D Come there and see!
This one I have waited for a long time.....finally we can forget about the 230. :D

csickles
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:54 pm

Any updates??

I have boards waiting (T1 via USB) and T1 via PCI / USB

T3 over USB in prog..

The MFG is emailing me every week asking if they can work with MikroTik to add support...

you have my contact information... see sales I am an OEM..

Have a GREAT ONE !!

Craig..

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:29 pm

T1 via USB... might work if it presented itself as a standard serial port. Do you know what device type they would present over USB ? If they can make it look like serial then they wouldnt even need driver support.

csickles
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:45 pm

Sam,

I cant remember... for sure.. I dont think it did...

I have the SupOuts... for a test router with and without the board loaded and I have sent the files to Arnis and John..
(last May)

I sent the sample back (I still have the PCI T1 from another MFG)
I can get one in short order !!

It was based on a custom ASIC / micro ctrlr with a USB interface...

The "module" was then piggybacked onto a USB carrier that had a PCI interface..

The Carrier has a NEC PCI to USB adapter on it....

I can get details in short order and can get a test board again in short order, it I can get an interest in support from
MikroTik..

I have plans for a multi module rack... that would also house mirrored SATA drives for storage...

I just need driver support added (they will work with MikroTik to add it)..

Craig

csickles
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:42 pm

Bump...

I see USB on the new 433s.... (see MUM pdf)

I have a MFG just waiting to have their driver added....

rmichael
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:05 am

Did anyone ever got the MiniPCI-to-USB module to work with RB433?