Community discussions

MikroTik App

ihernandez
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

signal difference in point to point

Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:18 pm

Hello, I would like to know if you could help me with this issue. On one side I have an ok signal level (good ccq 75% to 81%) and on the other I have a weak signal (see print screen)
I use XR5 on both ends I just changed them to make sure it wasn`t the cards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

galaxynet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: signal difference in point to point

Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:41 pm

ihernandez -

Sure - there are a number of reasons.....

Bad cable(s) or connections at the card(s).
Bad cable connection from the card to the antenna (bad cable-loose ground, water intrusion, etc).

Antenna damage.

LoS issues, such as 'knife edge defraction', or an obstacle closer to one antenna than the other, also there can be reflections making the signal out of phase with the main signal as they both arrive at the antenna, proxmity of other RF noise inducers (lowering the effective S/N ratio).

R/

ihernandez
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:24 pm

ihernandez -

Sure - there are a number of reasons.....

Bad cable(s) or connections at the card(s).
Bad cable connection from the card to the antenna (bad cable-loose ground, water intrusion, etc).

Antenna damage.

LoS issues, such as 'knife edge defraction', or an obstacle closer to one antenna than the other, also there can be reflections making the signal out of phase with the main signal as they both arrive at the antenna, proxmity of other RF noise inducers (lowering the effective S/N ratio).

R/
Thank you Thom for your reply, I will start by changing the cable. When I first installed this link, it was flawless but with time one side degraded too much.

miahac
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:25 am

Try changing frequencies. If the other frequencies have the exact same properties, it is probably not diffraction.