Community discussions

MikroTik App

karina

Re: R5H problems

Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:47 am

Hi,

I just lost my fourth r5h, burned after a simple power cycle. In service for 6 months no problems.

I lost 3 others after 2 months service. both lost tx signal but could still listen. Such a shame as they outperform anything else. Reluctantly switching to ubiquity cards for now.

leo_cakep
just joined

Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:59 am

i have the same issues... TX is totally lost, but RX still ok... now already 3 months on RMA

ruralnet
just joined

Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:23 pm

We too have experienced bad radios with antennas attached. Have had a couple of radios just dia after a few day without any channel change and a few die while changing channels as others have reported.Now we are having massive issues with poor receive throughput. We are going back to XR5 until Mikrotik resolves these issues.

I suggest we force Mikrotik to find and resolve these issues by boycotting the purchase of ALL MT radios until this is resolved this has cost us thousands of dollars in replacing radios and expensive tower crews. These radios offer Superior performance compared to XR's when they work but the cost of having to replace these when they fail as often and they are make that performance ultimately too expensive. We are going back to Ubiquity for now!

coolfuel
just joined

Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:34 pm

Can I join the club?

3/10 failure rates!

Are they even QA tested?

I have one FAIL straight out the box.

Seriously Id like to take one of these cards and shove it the sun don't shine

Same goes with the R52.

Don't even question me about antennas as every thing we do is to our ISO 9002 std. i.e ESD work shop, (Test equipment)- dummy loads, VSWR prints, Comms test head print outs etc..

Alvarion, Motorola, Redline, Proxim, etc.. would work out cheaper in the long run !

It's the last Straw dealing with crap Mr Tik !

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:36 pm

what do you mean by "FAIL"? are you sure you didn't use them without antenna attached (even if only for one power up), or didn't change the tx-power setting? those things can damage the card. Sorry if it sounds obvious, but I had to ask, many people don't know that.

ruralnet
just joined

Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:22 pm

no problems for me

It's been more than 6 months since this post... Are you still of the same opinions? When we first started using R5H, we were impressed and started replacing XR5s, but many tower climbs later, we are going back to Ubiquiti.

I am curious; most of our R5Hs burn in RB433AH with 24V PoE injectors on towers (where there is lots of rf noise), what equipment are you using that you are having such great success with?

ruralnet
just joined

Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:42 pm

We never change power settings from default and always have antennas attached. They just fail! I have 10 dead units on my desk as I type...I've only lost two XR5's..I'm just saying that my experience with R5H oer XR5 is that we get better throughput but at a much higher cost both from outages/reliability and tower crew expenses. Gonna just say NO until there's a fix!

missinlnk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:04 pm

I have one FAIL straight out the box.
In the upper left hand corner is a chip labeled SJ. Is this chip damaged on any of your cards?

coolfuel
just joined

Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:42 am

Sorry for losing my cool !

Power levels are always set to default.

Having a look at one of the R5H's the diode is blown. (top left)

A few (new) R52 have poor signal issues or would not scan anything.

I cant stress out more having a load on the rf ports before powering the cards up.

Im looking into our records to find out if these cards came with pre-built/ configured units.

coolfuel
just joined

Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:57 pm

More dead R52's, R5H's.

Im building quite a collection.

What is cooking these (NEW) cards, 24V into a 433 ?

aaa

Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:04 pm

No, it's Standing Wave Ratio.
Don't use antennas with SWR value higher like 2 and you acquire less damages.

vladimirslk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:44 pm

i have today problem with R5h also :)

config:
Rb433ah
1xR52
2xR5h

configuration at home, with connected antennas to all pigtails... 2 cards for 10 min of configuring were good, but R5H had very big temperature, so hot, so i cannot even hold it in my hands (it can be definated when you place your head to the board, so at 40cm you can taste it). It's in list, all okey, but i dont think it's good idea to put @work this card..
As I see, at left side one diode is blown.

I think, it should be by warranty exchanged? I am from estonia, bought from distributor in latvia.

BR

aaa

Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:20 pm

What antennas you use? Write to rma@mikrotik.com ask way to replace it.

vladimirslk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:21 pm

What antennas you use? Write to rma@mikrotik.com ask way to replace it.
dish antennas 32dbi from direct.lv
There's written, that direct to RMA I should write, if I was bought direct from them? i have bought from dealer in latvia SPX... Do not know yet, what they will say about it (just in monday).

The biggest FAIL, becouse i have planned to make some installations in these weekend..
And like always, when already all parts all together - something is missing

aaa

Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:50 am

Precisely second picture is from this antenna feed measurement :))

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=38509

In addition this feed some times have problem with water inside. I have this antenna on few links.

vladimirslk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:00 pm

:) jep, You'll have water inside, if you do not use silicon at the connector-cable connection.
@test they were @my home 1 week, so i do not think that couse problem, another R5H work's without problems with same antennas, i mean @test.

coolfuel
just joined

Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:29 pm

No, it's Standing Wave Ratio.
Don't use antennas with SWR value higher like 2 and you acquire less damages.
It doesn't explain why some are faulty from the word go!
You would see the radio slowly degrade.

Our sectors, that I have VSWR prints after towers were commissioned that also run tik blow out.
Also never have any probs with the 350's

Anyway im over it,Other equipment that have been placed on the same antennas- no issues.

Not even worth my troubles getting replacements, seems like customer support sucks balls anyway, From what ive seen people posting repeating questions on other topics going unanswered.

karina

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:41 pm

Switched to ubiquiti cards now. Everything running smoothly. I can power cycle and switch frequencies now without holding my breath.

I will return to MT cards when this issue is sorted as they are by far a superior card when they are working. I am sure Mikrotik will address the issue in time. Of course they have to be sure there is a problem first and this forum is probably the best way to prove there is.

If it helps, the cards seem to be failing mostly when a power cycle is performed on the board or when the frequency is changed. There should be a clue there somewhere as to what is causing the issue. Probably not detected in a LAb as these cards are blowing while in service with many clients associated.

Xarion
just joined

Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:39 am

Hi mikrotik

Are we able to know what type of diode it is I've had 3 R5h's sitting in my 'dead bin' for a while now and thinking it was my fault that they had blown, but now I see that the problem might actually be something with the card design itself. What is the warranty period of the card?

I dont mind replacing the diode myself I have all the tools and suppliers at my disposal. Perhaps a model number will help.
Is it a schottky/fast recorvery diode? Perhaps we can fit something with a bigger spec?

Thanx!

Xarion

karina

Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:05 pm

Hi,

Can someon a MK please respond to this thread. I so want to go back to MK cards for the better performance but cant risk it till I know the issue has been resolved.

aaa

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:29 am

All devices have 1 year warranty. If you have it better way is send cards back to supplier. R5H repairing is very complicated.
Hi mikrotik

Are we able to know what type of diode it is I've had 3 R5h's sitting in my 'dead bin' for a while now and thinking it was my fault that they had blown, but now I see that the problem might actually be something with the card design itself. What is the warranty period of the card?

I dont mind replacing the diode myself I have all the tools and suppliers at my disposal. Perhaps a model number will help.
Is it a schottky/fast recorvery diode? Perhaps we can fit something with a bigger spec?

Thanx!

Xarion

gagarcia
just joined

Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:14 pm

We too have had problems with R5H and now the R52N radios transmit failure from thermal run-away. This happens often when changing channels or just running. We have had more than $700 worth of bad radios and more than $10k in tower climbing fees to replace these cards and Mikrotik or the vendor won't warranty them. We tried the new R52HN. Purchased 6 and 2 failed right off the bat! Once again Vendor wont accept return. Done with Mikrotik! Until they admit they have a problem and replace the bad radios we are going to either UBNT or dbii. At least they stand by their product. Would like to gather a list of all who have had similar issues with these radios!

karina

Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:05 pm

You can put my name down. lost roughly 50 of my stock causing similar financial costs and angry customers. I now use dbii cards with no problems.

Intrestingly I mentioned the rb5h problem to dbii and they said they found the problem with the rb5h and made sure their cards did not replicate it. If dbii can find the fault how come the manufactuer of the Mikrotik cards can't? curious