Community discussions

MikroTik App

rodneal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

3.25 Blows Up!!!

Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:53 pm

I've had quite a few of my RB systems just die in the field after a 3.25 push.
Sometimes it will be several hours and sometimes a day or so.
Symptom is the bridge wiped out and the rest of the settings still in place.
With the bridge gone of course the IP addressing and any ports are gone.
The firewall info and anything else not directly associated with the bridge is still in place - now whether they will work or not I'm still testing.
I'm speculating that it is a electrical blink that may have caused this but not sure.

These units have been in place for several years (RB133 and RB153) and/or since the RB433 came out.

Please let me know if there is any type of fix for this - I don't need the rest of the system to go down every time there is a electrical blink.

Thank you,
Rod

rodneal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: 3.25 Blows Up!!!

Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:42 pm

BTW - I reread my post and to be fair I need to state that I have several hundred different flavors of RBs in the field and it has been less then 10 that have blown off the bridge config.
Still I hope more are not to follow.
Also I'm using 2.19 and 2.18 BIOS.

Input would be great.

Thank you,
Rod

rodneal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:52 am

OK - this is getting stupid - lost three more boards this afternoon.

Same problem - totally different part our network - 1 RB133 and 2 RB433 - bridge was gone - the IP address was in red due to no association with the bridge and all interfaces had to be rebuilt.
No damage otherwise - logged right in with winbox on mac addressing. I added the bridge back and associated the interfaces and rebuilt the wans. Now it running great.
What is causing this? Should I immediately do a software rollback???
Please update me - Normis!!!!

Thank You,
Rod

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:07 am

what version were you on originally? I remember there was a specific version that I lost bridge configs in, but that was a while ago.

Take a backup, upgrade, reboot, restore backup - to be safe.

rodneal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:07 pm

I'm starting to loose customer boards now - when they turn them off we are getting the same effect.
Lost 1 this am.
Any thing new???
Rod

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:26 pm

we need more info about those board that looses the config after upgrade.
Can you reproduce that?

rodneal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:59 pm

Hey All,
I found a fix!

If you make no changes to the configs after upgrade and the power is pulled then you loose the config on bridge.
If you make a change to the config after upgrade i.e, delete a wan or add a wan or anything to the bridge config it save the config to hard memory and you can pull the power all day long.
Now this is just a theory as to the result and cause but the effect works.
I went back to all my equipment - changed a setting or two and it seems to have solved the issue. I can pull power and no loss of bridge config.

Now - this is something that should be covered in the upgrade so I'm assuming that there is a glitch in the writing process to hard memory of the upgrade.

I could be wrong.
Thank you,
Rod

rodneal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:35 pm

OK - I went thru and reset the bridge on about half of the boards we upgraded.
On reboot I lost 2 of them - 1 RB133 and 1 RB433. Both boards have been hanging for about a year and have gone thru several upgrades without any issues.

I deleted unused wan configs and deleted the unknowns that show up in the port section of the bridge interface after this is done.

I'm puzzled and not quite sure I have a fix.

It is not 100% verified.

Still need input.

Uldis - all boards were 3.24 and are functioning live in the network. You should be able to duplicate this on the bench in your lab.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:32 am

could you provide us with the support output file from such router which rebooted, so we could check the configuration and try ourselves this. send the file to support@mikrotik.com

ericsooter
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:19 am

We had a similar thing happen. We upgraded from 3.10 to 3.25 on a 433. After upgrade, everything was good. But after upgrading firmware, bridges were disabled, wlan cards were reset. Gave us a big scare.

rodneal
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:53 pm

Hey Uldis,
There's really nothing to show - all different boards - different towers - different networks.
Only thing in common is the 3.24 to 3.25 upgrade.
I've gone to all of my systems and made small changes and tested the power loss and it now seems to be fixed.
BTW - I still have one tower down - gotta climb it today.

interpoint
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:20 pm

Hi Guys,

I too have had this problem. My customers connect to my AP's in 2 ways..

1. via a PPPoe session established by a CPE directly with the AP
2. via a PPPoe session established by my customers firewall directly with the AP

I normally have to create a bridge without any ports on the AP and turn on WDS for method 2 to work and apply the PPPoe service onto this bridge to deliver the service. Ports are added to the bridge dynamically via WDS and life goes on.. This works very well and has not caused me any problems in the past.

Recently, I upgraded an AP to 3.25 and all my "connection method 2" customers got disconnected every couple of hours (randomly) all "connection method 1" customers all remained connected.

The difference between the two connection methods is the bridge. So.. I created bridge2 in 3.25 and changed the PPPoe service onto bridge2. This concurs what rodneal was saying
If you make a change to the config after upgrade i.e, delete a wan or add a wan or anything to the bridge config it save the config to hard memory and you can pull the power all day long.
I have attached a photo of the two bridges (bridge1 is the pre-upgrade, bridge2 is the post upgrade)
Mikrotik Bridge 3.25.JPG
Notice the L2MTU 2304 instead of 65535 !! MikroTik what is going on here. This needs to be fixed as the upgrade has mod'd the bridge setup.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

maco

Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:03 pm

has this progressed in finding a solution/cause?

interpoint
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:12 pm

The PPPoe issue seems to be resolved now for me. I just deleted the old bridge and created a new one and now all pppoe connections are staying connected.