Community discussions

MikroTik App

eben
Topic Author

RB433AH MiniPCI slot not working?

Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:34 pm

I've got a weird one, have emailed MikroTik support, but was wondering if anyone could help before support comes back with an answer.

One of our RB433AH's is playing up and it seems to me that the middle miniPCI slot isn't working properly.

The unit is powered via solar and batteries, so power is always between 12.0V and 13.8V The problem's there when power's at 12V and it's still there when power's at 13.8V. These voltage readings are coming from System -> Health.

When I built the router, I used one R52H with a 24dBi 5.8GHz antenna to connect to our backbone. I used two more R52H's with 17dBi sectorals to rebroadcast IP to a town beneath the high site. The top slot (wlan1) was / is the backbone. All the clients ended up connecting to the radio in the bottom slot (wlan3). I found it very difficult to connect clients to the radio in the middle slot (wlan2) as the signal's always been weak. The 17dBi sectorals have a coverage of 90 degrees and are 1.2m from each other, pointing in opposite directions.

The wlan2 just didn't pump out what I'd expected from it, so I replaced it with an R5H. When I did this, I moved the miniPCI card that was in the botton slot to the middle slot so that I could have space to mount the bigger radio in the bottom slot. Suddenly none of my clients could connect to the radio in the middle slot. The IP addresses remained unchanged. The coverage area remained unchanged, but client CPE's (RB411, UBNT NS5 and RB433) just suddenly couldn't see the WLAN.

If I go to client premises and use Snooper, I can't see us.

Meanwhile, the WLAN that was being powered by the R5H was blasting forth and being seen by users who previously couldn't see it.

The common denominator is the fact that the middle slot is the one that appears to be giving trouble.

Am I missing something? Is there another way to test of the slot's not working?

This is a production environment, so I can't take the routerboard out, return it to the suppliers and have them fiddle while my clients' businesses come to a grinding halt.